Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

Just a quick one before I go on vacation:

probably my last song for this week, brother.
another original, this one written in 2015
and relearnt and recorded today.
super week Del, thanks so much man

HOBART CITY LIGHTS

When you came around to my place
I was too scared to show my face
I couldn't even greet you at the door

You were bearing hearts and flowers
And you held my hand for hours
As the tears they rolled down my cheeks on the kitchen floor

There's one who always breaks down
One who stands up when the chips are down
And you it was the last one standing

When the clock ticked past 11
And we'd been from hell to heaven
Your shoulder was the softest pillow that I'd found

Mills and Boon and Fairytales
Like chalkboards on fingernails
Then there's you and your eyes
Like Hobart city lights
Guiding me wherever I should roam

Well my heart it was grievin'
But I knew what I was seekin'
And your love light's always guided me to shore

We tripped those lights fantastic
Those clichés made of plastic
Watched Sleepless in Seattle one more time to be sure...

Meg Ryan and Tommy Hanks both know
Love is all there is to know
And there's you and your eyes
Like Hobart city lights
Guiding me wherever I should roam

Hi, Del! This is a song from The Weepies (I think!) as I am still having enormous trouble with our Internet. I hadn't heard of The Weepies before Jon did a lovely version of "Nobody Knows Me At All" and since then I have come to really like their self-described "quiet side of Pop", with their sensitive and often personal lyrics, and Deb Talan's wonderful voice.

Light plays a big role in stories and songs about extraterrestrials, so here's one of my favorite "little green men" songs.

(Making preparations for Season 340 ... )

Greetings,

I croaked a bit through this one, but the picture of the moon taken on vacation inspired me to do it even though my allergies made it nearly impossible to sing. Hey, never stopped me before. Have a Moondance for me.

Ciao

Here's another Mel McDaniel song that was on the same cassette I had in the 80's as "Lovelight" that I did earlier in the week, so I gave this one a go.

Couldn't Get It Righ

Couldn't Get It Right, an old 70's rock tune from the Climax Blues Band. The lights in the lyrics refers to the lights from the hotel signs which the touring band on the road were longing to see after long days and nights.

This has been put together in Logic Pro X as my first ever project so it is a bit rough but I am still learning.

Hope you like it.

So here's my favourite ELO song - see my earlier post for an almost interesting account of my early introduction to their music. I love the pace of this one and I may have even gone a bit faster than the original just for the sheer enjoyment of it, which may in turn have (or rather definitely has!) affected the quality a bit. I'd have given it a few more tries except that I've a ton of new songs to listen to and comment on here and I can't wait to get started.

Looking For The Moon by Tom Paxton

The end of April, early May, I was visiting with my best friend and his wife in Texas and he mentioned how much he'd enjoyed the Tom Paxton concert we'd gone to together in Schenectady way back in the late 80's, I think he said. We'd been talking music because I had my big old tenor uke with me and he had his puny Martin Dreadnaught and we had a musical history together going back to the '60s. ... though we had met in kindergarten.

(I could have kept all of my ukes together in his case!)

Anyway, I didn't remember the concert, though both our wives remembered it well. They said I enjoyed it, so I have been learning some Paxton songs beyond the 2 or 3 everyone knows.
This wasn't out at the time of the concert, but is on the "Looking For The Moon" album, and the whole thing streams here on YouTube.

Our lead guitar player in the nursing home group plays an instrumental of this song all the time, but he does it in G, and I can't sing it in G. I like to sing this one. He doesn't use the same chords as the "official" version, so this version I've done sounds more like what he plays than what's on the Marty Robbins recording.

In celebration of Bob Dylan being in my hometown of Sydney tonight here is Don't think twice.I'm pretty sure he is a lurker on the forum - especially the seasons.So Bob if you want to contact the mods with a free concert ticket for giving you this exposure ...please feel free.
Painting in the background is one of mine.It has the cover of "Highway 61 Revisted' in it - under the guitar neck.I suppose it really should have been the cover of "Freewheelin" to match the song.
Painting is in the style of French Post impressionist Pierre Bonnard utilising the concept of broken colour.Who said we aussies aren't friggen kultured!

Since I started playing ukulele, I listen mostly to the kind of music I think I can fake playing. Thus, I sometimes forget how much I like prog rock and metal. This cover is from one of my favorite metal bands, Orden Ogan. They are a sort of progressive/folk/symphonic metal band from Germany.

Another chance find on the radio yesterday morning, the Divine Comedy dancing to their favourite indie hits until the morning light.

This is experimental, so therefore it's a bit rough. I tried doing this song kinda like the Manhattans did, but it wasn't going well, and I was about to give up, then it popped in my head to try to do it like a 70's or 80's country star would have covered it. After a fair bit of trial and error in both arrangement and keys, this is what I ended up with, for now.....

And apparently also the date John, Paul and George asked Ringo to round out the foursome.

Funny, the paper here listed the date for this as the day after the Beatles Shea second concert. Whatever the case, it was a good move. :) Ringo had the perfect personality and persona to round out the quartet and his zaniness in the early films was such a great appeal. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Thanks for letting us know, Andy - I was all ready when our paper finally reported on the anniversary. :)

This is a song I've always likes, it's called There is a light that never goes out by the Smiths.
I have tried (but not sent in) it before for other seasons, but feel it is hard to do justice, I'm still not sure about this one, but I guess it comes close ;).

Top Bottom