Season 339 - "Let There Be Light"

Here's my first. Paul Simon's classic song. Years ago, I found a midi with the guitar riff at the beginning. It's just an Am arpeggio and works very nicely on the uke on just the C, E & A strings.

The pictures are of Durham, mainly of the magnificent Norman Cathedral and were taken from a footpath alongside the river Wear.

Walk Like an Egyptian / Midnight Moonlight

Those of you who know me know that when someone puts two completely unrelated songs together in a fun way and invites me to join in, I can't resist!

My banjo friend Tim has been doing this fun medley for years - of the Bangles' "Walk Like an Egyptian" and Peter Rowan's "Midnight Moonlight" - which share the same unusual 2-chord progression in their jam sections. So when he invited me to join his band for the Folk Project's 43rd birthday show at the Minstrel coffeehouse, of course I said yes!

The show was 2 weeks ago, but I failed multiple times to successfully upload the rather large video file till this morning. There's better video on the official show CD awaiting me next time I go there ... this is the one from my iPhone.

We were the opening act, so I left in the intro by long-time Minstrel booker and local folk music character Mike Agranoff*, explaining a bit of background of the long-lived Folk Project and its Minstrel concert series. He introduces us at 5:19, and we start playing at 6:30, if you want to cut to the chase. (I'll come back later and trim the video and edit this post.)

[* If his name sounds vaguely familiar, I've covered a few of his songs in the way distant past.]

Starring Tim Sevener on banjo and MM lead vocals, me on uke (of course, and half of WLAE lead vocals, Dara Diamant on the other half, and Bob Clement on bass.

Last edited:
Welcome back, Wendy! Haven't seen you here in awhile (unless I've been remiss in my Seasonista-ing ...)

You are quite right, Rick - I've been away for a while. Thanks for the welcome back. I've missed you all!

And hello, Del - and thanks for the fun and perfect theme to come back to!

Last edited:
Greetings,

A treasure was given to me yesterday, scraps of paper with words and chords scrawled on them written by my brother who passed. I never knew he wrote poetry, or music. No one in my family did. So with his words and chord selection I have found one that will meet the criteria. I will try to bring Nick's lyrics to life for this season.

Ciao

Greetings,

A treasure was given to me yesterday, scraps of paper with words and chords scrawled on them written by my brother who passed. I never knew he wrote poetry, or music. No one in my family did. So with his words and chord selection I have found one that will meet the criteria. I will try to bring Nick's lyrics to life for this season.

Ciao

wow Gina. that is huge. looking forward to hear it. so precious man.

There is never the right time, or space, or conditions to create.
You just have to do it. No need to wait for a better mike or a better camera,
or a better instrument, or a superior editing software, or good acoustics,
or less background noise, or better playing technique.
If you want to create something then just do it.
Even if you fail you well always learn something
about where you have gone wrong,
and you can learn from your mistakes.
Just do it.
Don't wait.
Create.

Greetings,

Ciao
I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your brother, Gina. I think this would be a wonderful tribute to his memory.

And now an original from your host (that’s me btw - and it says so on the t-shirt if you don’t believe me! ;) )

I wrote this song about 30 years ago back in my keyboards playing days. I can’t actually remember what inspired it, but it stayed with me and I adapted it for uke a few months back and posted the result on the ‘a seasonista wrote this stuff’ thread. And now I’ve rejigged it slightly for this season. So having asked for some interesting back stories about the songs you’ve been playing that’s embarrassingly dull! :eek:

And Del said, "Let there be light!"
And there was The Electric Light Orchestra!
And behold! They liveth in Twilight.

I had this song on a Mel McDaniel cassette in the 80's, and hadn't heard it since probably the early to mid 90's, till about two weeks ago I saw it on Youtube and gave it a listen, and now Del comes out with a "Light" Season. So I guess it was fate that I play it. Written by Bob McDill, one of the best country songwriters ever.

Greetings,

Searching for Rainbows - simple song. I hope my brother has found one.

I don’t know how I can follow that loving tribute to Nick Gina. Beautiful.
But follow I must. This is self explanatory really, written by twins Craig and Charlie Reid, aka The Proclaimers. I didn’t attempt to sing it in a Scottish accent, because I’m not Scottish.

I have no backstory other than that this is a bloody fun song to play, as is a lot of Kings of Leon's first album.

And the second is called in the Light, it was written by Charlie Peacock and DC Talk recorded it first. Later on Charlie recorded it himself as well.

Here's some Muse because there is always a reason for Muse

(My wife had a rare night out tonight so I took advantage )

Top Bottom