Is it a "badge of courage"?

Nickie

Reaction score
Yesterday, I had gone out and played a song for a 90 year old hospice patient. She is blind and almost deaf, but she recognized my instrumental version of Aura Lee.
Then, after promising to return at a later date, I rushed to the next ALF. As I tuned my uke (again, the heat and humidity here is merciless to my uke), and set it on my lap to look at my patient list, the darn g string popped.
"Dammit" I sighed, but picked it up and thought "The show must go on".
I went and played for numerous other hospice patients and their housemates, telling them what happened and that I was only 3/4 there.
It worked out fine. One young aide walked up to me and said "You're awesome, I love your playing, will you come back?"
I was amazed that no one could even tell, if they could, they sure didn't seem to care.
Maybe a 3 string ukulele is ok!
I sure am glad I have another uke, because we had a show to do today at a museum, and I really didn't want to stretch a new set of strings, or even one string during a gig!
I have just justified owning more than one uke....

Ha, ha, I'd often thought about only having 3 strings, a high G & a high A seemed a waste, especially as there wasn't much room between the strings to put my fingers when I started out.

I still wonder if a low G 3 string uke would be a good option for me. :)

I'm glad you're going to the hospice. I work in an assisted living, and the residents eyes all light up when we have music of any type come in or even if they sing along with laser discs (yep, we have one of those old setups). They love the ukelele group that comes in a few times a year.
I'm hoping I can get to play better and I'll play for them.
Keep it up, three strings or four.

Top Bottom