"Thinning the Herd" - Better Term?

I just looked up the Hawaiian word for "group" which is puʻulu, so a puʻulu of ukes.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
If we are going to get a word to use in English language conversation from another language, I think we should give the Hawaiians a rest and go to Portuguese. In Portuguese, the internet says that "collection of ukuleles" = "colecao de ukulele". "Thinning the collection" = "desbaste a colecao de ukulele". So I think we could do the normal English language thing and ignore the punctuation and other stuff and just go with a colecao of ukuleles. Usage "desbastering the colecao". Shortened to just "desbastering". Usage as a heading on an English language bulletin board "Desbastering some ukes". Usage in a post "Desbasted the Collings today to get come cash for my next purchase." Or "Picked up a desbasted uke today for a low cost"

Good idea. Let's all learn Portuguese and make that the official language of UU. :D

A joke of ukuleles.
A stroke of ukuleles.
A drudge of ukuleles.
a harsh, a drag, a ruin, a flop of ukuleles
a pester of ukuleles

Hmmm, there is a definite pattern here. Are you feeling oppressed and weighed down by your ukuleles? Probably time to thin the herd... or maybe get the albatross(es) off your neck!

If that's the case, I'm sure there are people around here who can help. (But don't look at me, I'm done shopping!)

bratsche

Actually, bratsche, my grouping is of a very manageable size. It is because I see a large number as a problem that I lean toward the albatross-like terms, not the other way 'round. (would never call it a bevy)
By the way, after much thought and many attempts, I believe I've found the definitive answer to the grouping-naming question. It's a Quarrel of ukuleles.

This term is actually taken from the animal kingdom, as in a quarrel of sparrows (additionally adopted by the legal world: "a quarrel of lawyers"). I like this one because, whenever I hear a bunch of ukuleles played together, it sounds like an argument to me.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen, all the ukers play and sing the same thing in unison. In other words with no parts. Is that correct? It’s just a bunch of people having a good time, singing and plunking together? Like in church?

Well . . . okay . . . :eek:ld:

From what I’ve seen, all the ukers play and sing the same thing in unison. In other words with no parts. Is that correct? It’s just a bunch of people having a good time, singing and plunking together? Like in church?

Well . . . okay . . . :eek:ld:

That seems to be about right, but some people finger pick. As one of our leaders says, "No one is going to get kicked out. There are no tests. Just have fun."

How ‘bout Plunka Pack”? As in “Thinning out the Plunka Pack”. Plunka as in plunka, and Pack as in Herd or Group.
My thanks to ol’ Roget. :eek:ld:

From what I’ve seen, all the ukers play and sing the same thing in unison. In other words with no parts. Is that correct? It’s just a bunch of people having a good time, singing and plunking together? Like in church? Well . . . okay . . . :eek:ld:

My group sings in harmony, some finger pick parts that our leader teaches, I play bass uke, all in all, we sound very good.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Top Bottom