Martin IZ Commemorative Tenor #500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. While the photo clearly shows more than just the matte turning shiny from use, some are saying that's all it is, just shiny. To the owner, can you please verify, if you touch the area, can you feel distinct edges to the spot you're showing in the photos?

I have one of these and couldn't be happier. While the matte finish on mine is getting a little shinier where my arm rests and the neck getting shinier, there's definitely not any noticeable edges like I see in the photos.

Jim

If you look carefully at the first side shot posted, what I thought was the edge of a crack looks to be a hard edge of a clear finish that has flaked off.

If I can post it, I circled a milky spot and placed a red line to the left of what I think is the edge of the problem area.

Could this have been caused by water or dampness? Like a leaked humidifier or damp basement something like that?

Side shot of Martin IZ adj.jpg

I'm not the original owner. If it doesn't sell as is for my discounted price, or best reasonable offer, I am considering investing in a professional refinish -- perhaps a thin nitrocellulose gloss finish from the pros in Santa Cruz.
Alternatively, there are probably many other methods to polish the finish and dramatically improve the aesthetics. I always thought that Martin made a mistake using a satin finish on quilted mahogany anyway.
Honestly, it presents as a shiny area on the bottom side of the uke that nobody really sees anyway. Otherwise, it looks and sounds great - better than other examples I have seen for higher prices.

I have an Iz with a shiny spot I could not get back to satin....so I just used some light guitar scratch paste and did the whole top soundboard in a glossy finish. I agree, the satin finish was a mistake.

Last edited:
2 year old quilted mahogany USA made Martin tenor uke still available for 50% of MSRP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom