In search of "Bliss Ukulele" ...

Pazukulele

Reaction score
Recently I bought a used concert in Tokyo which is branded as "Bliss Ukulele", "handcrafted in Hawaii". I couldn't find anything about this maker on the Net -- no names, no addresses. There is also an email address stamped inside the body, "Bliss_Ukulele@hotmail.com", but it doesn't work. It also bears a serial number, "000145".
It's a lovely uke, built from Koa, fun to play, sounding bright and clear, but I'd really like to know when and by who it was built. I'd be grateful for any suggestions or clues to figuring this out.

I'm adding some pics from my Flickr account:

43765085692_8ddbc3bba6.jpg

28877537037_e0dca8a7e9.jpg

42910139305_e89e583c70.jpg

Very interesting find. The e-mail address indicates that it isn't "vintage", I'd assume very late '90s or early 2000s.

Here is a link to another "Bliss Ukulele" for sale in Japan, a double neck combination of 4 strings and 8 strings. The Japanese description only mentions that it is a "really rare jewel":

http://www.earthecoenterprise.com/NovemberRain/19_27.html

The label there shows only a phone number: 574-9883

Its serial number is 0027. I'd asume the serial number is counting the instruments they built, so yours would be number 145. Number 27 linked above would be somewhat older, which would go along well with the fact that it has a phone number instead of an e-mail address.

Perhaps they were specifically built for the Japanese market?

Hope that helps. I would be interested in hearing more about what you or others find out.

Thank you -- that's relevant information! A double neck ukulele is something quite special; custom-built without doubt. The earliest information about double or twin neck ukuleles in Japan I could pick up dates from 2002. (Actually, it is a do-it-yourself guide! The Japanese ukulele scene definitely as a fad for novelties.)
Unfortunately, the phone number given, if it is from Honolulu (HI), is currently disclosed as "unidentified". On the other side, hotmail.com has been operating since 1996; thus, my concert is definitely not older than that.
By the way, the serial number stamped onto the neck reads "00032". "00027" is just the ID used by the Japanese seller. Company name and phone number are printed on a transparent sticker, as opposed to my concert where it is stamped onto wood. Also, my serial # has 6 digits. So I'm actually not sure which one is older.

Top Bottom