Does anyone know who has done this?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I have just discovered that someone has copied all of my Facebook videos and uploaded them to YouTube. I can't seem to find the owner of this travesty... so I am appealing openly here to whoever has done this (if you frequent this forum) please close the channel and take them down. You do not have my permission to do this! I have no interest in having YouTube presence.

Yes and I don't have to give it.... I'm pretty annoyed by this complete disregard for my property!

Geez. Are you saying that the Pete Howlett account over there isn't yours? Some of those vids were uploaded 10 years ago! Anyway, go to the Youtube account of the imposter. You will see a link called ABOUT. Click that and you will see a grey flag. You can report the user with that link. I have no idea what happens after that.

EDIT: You might also want to know about this as well: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PeteHowlett

No - that account is mine and you will know if you have been here any time I took down nearly all of my instructional videos 3 years ago after continual flaming and criticism of my techniques. What is left there is the content I want there. Here is the 'fake' channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2KjWG2Pb2yS10l0iigvPSA/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

The videos are my livestreams to FaceBook and are a vlog of my days in the workshop. It's where I want people to go to get my content.

Last edited:
'Sokay mate... As well as recusing myself from YouTube you will notice that I rarely pass comment here. I just want whoever has done this to respect my work and my ethics and take it down before I have to get into battle with YouTube.

That is an absolute shocker Pete, I presume you have contacted You tube?

Started the process. I accept ti's well intentioned but it's not MY intention!

Pete,
While I don't think this should have been done without your permission (and putting your face on the channel is pretty weird), I'd like to point out the page where the poster explains why he started the channel. (The link doesn't go straight to it, you have to click the "About" tab.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2KjWG2Pb2yS10l0iigvPSA

It's clearly someone who values the skills you've built over a lifetime and wants these videos saved for posterity.
While you should be able to decide whether you want your videos on YouTube, I think you can consider it a big compliment.
Ignore the wannabe experts and the snipey comments - and know that very few can come close to what you've accomplished with your work in this lifetime.

Last edited:
Have you tried just messaging the YouTube user? It looks like there was "good intent" here although he/she should have asked first. The least they could do is take the content private so it wouldn't be publicly available.

......I'd like to point out the page where the poster explains why he started the channel. (The link doesn't go straight to it, you have to click the "About" tab.)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2KjWG2Pb2yS10l0iigvPSA

It's clearly someone who values the skills you've built over a lifetime and wants these videos saved for posterity.
While you should be able to decide whether you want your videos on YouTube, I think you can consider it a big compliment.
Ignore the wannabe experts and the snipey comments - and know that very few can come close to what you've accomplished with your work in this lifetime.

For those that can’t find the mentioned comments easily here they are:

All these video's are taken directly from Pete Howlett's facebook page and uploaded to Youtube.

The reason for this Youtube channel is because it's impossible to navigate Facebook when it comes to viewing videos.

Pete Howlett is a master Luthier that regularly live streams on his Facebook groups page.

Pete howlett's Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/petehowlettukuleleclub/

Pete howlett's Website: https://www.petehowlettukulele.co.uk

This is an attempt to save and live streams done by Pete Howlett and upload them to youtube before pages are closed or deleted loosing all of this valuable footage.

I don’t follow Pete’s channels or video’s, etc., but do think that the content is worth saving for posterity. IMHO the person who set up this YouTube account should have discussed the matter with Pete first. As to who has the legal right (not the moral right) to publish on YouTube I suspect that that is a complex area.

Nearly all of us will have all had our ideas copied or ‘nicked’ at some point in our careers or have been underpaid by an employer or customer, and there’s been little if anything we could do about it - it’s painful when it happens but getting angry about it never improved matters for me. Pete’s experience here has similarities but at least whoever has done it has (seemingly) done it with good intent.

I understand that Pete’s health is poor and that he is unlikely to still be working in say five years time (apologies if that is not correct). To my mind the control that Pete wants now might well be irrelevant then but there would be overriding social value in his work being available for others to learn from. Despite some folk apparently posting negative comments on his past video’s the vast bulk of folk are positive about them and accept them for what they are (how I did it comments by a successful Craftsman). Wouldn’t it be best to work with whoever has set this site up such that the videos were archived ready for that (post retirement) time and posterity? If I owned one of Pete’s Ukes I’d certainly want that as it would help to maintain the (resale) value of the instrument.

Last edited:
Yeah I do not think stealing youtube ad revenue is the goal here.. that said.. doing it without permission is not cool/ok

It realy is very simple. You ASK the owner of the videos. You do not take what is not yours, "good intent" notwithstanding,

I can't find a way t message the owner. Nor can I find a way pot removing my facebook videos...

Last edited:
It realy is very simple. You ASK the owner of the videos. You do not take what is not yours, "good intent" notwithstanding,
That sounds simple to me too but for Pete to now own the Videos wouldn’t they need to have copyright protection in place? It will be interesting to see how all of this gets resolved and who has legal (as opposed to moral) rights to do whatever.

Once youve exposed anything to the public domain you have lost control...It's like giving away your bank account and PIN number...But you have to keep certain important things secret...like the original CocoCola recipe.

It wasn't me by the way, Petes a mate.

Last edited:
I don't really want to debate the rights and wrongs of this; frankly, I don't care. I just want to have some degree of say in what appears where and my chosen delivery system is FaceBook and not YouTube. The second point is this was done without my knowledge or permission. There have been just 12 subscribers in the 7 or so months this has been up - one saying 'Glad to see you back..." indicating I am being falsely represented. With only 2k view in total for the channel, it is not viable, it has no following or interest so to speak. What is also galling is the person who has done this is sufficiently familiar with my work to know my thoughts on the matter and why I do not post to YouTube anymore. FaceBook is my place where I am most comfortable sharing content...

Pete,

The process you want is the copyright takedown notice - form via button on this page https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2807622?hl=en

I'd take a screenshot of the "About" page, where the poster admits that he or she has copied your videos from Facebook.

The form submits a formal notice under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and the process required by US law is as follows:

1. YouTube contacts the page owner, who can admit the infringement and allow takedown or give notice that they will defend their right to post in court. Given the admission on the About page (which you will have copied as a screenshot before doing this!) I can't see the page owner choosing to defend.

2. If no response is received within a time period (7 days from memory, but the YouTube help pages probably tell you) then YouTube gives you various options, one of which is that it just takes down the videos.

3. You don't get compensation under this process, but any compensation would be minimal anyway given the tiny number of views and no financial gain to the page owner.

But I see you've posted a message in the Discussion section of that page - might be worth giving it a day or so to see if you get the response you want without going through the formal process.

Top Bottom