String Sacing to Tight - next step up

johnnysmash

Reaction score
When one is playing a six string instrument, in this case a guitalele, and the spacing between the strings seems to small for ones hands, moving up, what is the next choice of six string instrument, guitar, guitalele, that would allow a little more space between strings?

It's all about the string spacing at the nut, most have the same spacing, but there was a guitar someone had just recently with a 2" wide nut.

We mostly just get used to the lack of space by placing just the finger tip top on the string - when I started,I was covering 2 every time I tried to fret.

....& I'm still thinking about respacing just 3 strings on a regular uke neck. :D

Yup, not a question of "kind" of instrument but design of instrument. Decide what scale length you want and what neck width you want and then choose. If you want a wide neck, you can get it in tenor or baritone scale although the choices are cheaper in baritone scale. I think the Koaloha/Opio models are the only wide tenor scale sixers.

There is no strong standard for string spacing.

Guitarlele's can be bought with narrow or WIDE spacing at the nut. Yamaha, Kala and Cordoba guitarlele's are spaced pretty wide.

Steel string guitars are spaced narrower than ukuleles. Classical guitars tend to be spaced wider than steel string guitars and some are spaced VERY wide.

You are right Jim. I did some experimenting and measuring and I think I have discovered the scale and nut width I can deal with. I can play without too much trouble a 17 inch to 22 inch scale. 20 inch seems to be the most comfortable. As for the nut, this is a surprise. The 2 inch nut width is best on a six string instrument, as long as the scale is 22 inches or less. I could never do clear sounding chords on my classic guitar before - 2 inch width at nut with a scale of 25.5 inches. Too long. This morning I droped the tuning 3 half steps and poped on the capo on fret 3. That gave me a 21.5 scale. Playing it like a tenor guitar on only four strings, using my ukulele chord melodies from ML I just played away all morning. My injury is still improving a little at a time. On the classic guitar with the capo on fret three I can play 320003 and 032010 with no problems. Just no barrs, yet?@#%#@ I tried a couple and ouch ouch ouch. Later for that.

So as my hand continues to heal and I sweet talk my wife a little more I may be able to purchase a tenor guitar without a fight. As for the guitalele, I love it except I want to buy one now with a 2 inch neck width and sell my Yamaha GL1. Or at least tell my wife I am trying to sell it. LOL She is just not into this UAS or GAS.

How wide is the nut width of the Cordova you were telling me about? Is that a better quality guitarlele than Yamaha or about the same?

If you want wide baritone, look at the Islander or Cordoba Mini. The Mini starts at $199 and is a great bargain. Just don't get the cutaway/electirc version as they have a narrower neck.

Top Bottom