WTB: tenor - a loud boy.

fretie

Reaction score
I’m casting about for a big voice tenor that can hold its own in a 30-40 person meetup group and doesn’t mind be slepted around in a bicycle pannier.

Nothing too fancy, nothing too pricy but still pleasant to play.

Griffinukuleles.com. Brian Griffin makes his ukes just a tad deeper than most. His new Kasha blows any other out of the water for quality sound and volume. He has a couple for sale now as well as a couple of his regular ones. Great guy to talk with. He also sells a great padded case that would be no problem sittin' in a pannier. It's very compact and well padded.

Our local group has anywhere from 30 to 70 people playing and my Griffin is heard across the room. I love my Griffin ukes.

The cheapest model of Pepe Romero's Tiny Tenor series: The one with the solid spruce top and the laminate mahogany body. It's a canon. I played it outdoors last week, to around 50 to 60 people. And I had to sing really LOUD to make sure people would hear my voice above the instrument's. It's stunning, given the fact, that it's no resonator uke. I played reso ukes which are less loud. And I didn't even play it with a plektrum!

I am not sure what you mean by "not too pricey" but I think it sells for about 300$ now in the US. It's definitely worth the money.

I can sell you my Mainland Tenor (Mahogany). I think it is pretty loud.... :)

Helpful suggestions, thanks, I’ll check those ukes out.

Mineymole what are you asking for your Mainland?

I'm about to list my Tiny Tenor for sale. It's the model frolicks mentions above. It's in as-mint condition, includes the nice zippered hard case, and originally came from Hawaii Music Site (which I believe has been out of stock for a while). It's a joy to play, but superfluous in my collection, which includes a few tenors already. I'll be asking $200 + shipping & fees (if incurred). If interested, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions and PM’s ...some good ideas here..now I just need to think the options over before making up my mind.

Nice to see you in the forum again, Fretie. Hope you are enjoying Steveston. I have a Tiny Tenor if you are considering Tommy’s spruce one. You are welcome to try mine (koa). Just PM me.

Emily

Nice to see you in the forum again, Fretie. Hope you are enjoying Steveston. I have a Tiny Tenor if you are considering Tommy’s spruce one. You are welcome to try mine (koa). Just PM me.

Emily

Hey Emily, thanks for touching base here!

Yes, I am thoroughly enjoying living in Steveston and among many other great features of being in this area is the fact that we have two thriving ukulele meetup groups weekly that are both within walking and cycling distance of where I live.

Thanks for the offer to try the TT however at this point I am leaning towards snagging one of the VTAB tenors directly from China. They sound like unusual quality at that price and shipping is free to Canada.

Looks like you have a lovely stable of ukes going there!

If your considering something more durable...I have a tenor magic fluke with a gig bag for $150.
Plats louder then some other tenors.

I have a VTAB concert model (solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides). If their tenors are anything like my concert, it's a great deal for a fine, well-made, and great-sounding ukulele.

Thanks for the offer to try the TT however at this point I am leaning towards snagging one of the VTAB tenors directly from China. They sound like unusual
quality at that price and shipping is free to Canada.

I have a VTAB concert model (solid spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides). If their tenors are anything like my concert, it's a great deal for a fine, well-made, and great-sounding ukulele.

Thanks Larry, that’s good to know.

I decided to take a chance on the spruce top with solid mahogany back and sides tenor and have put in my order. Fingers crossed that it fits the niche I’m looking to fill.

Emily

Hey Emily, I tried to reply to your PM but it seems that your message box is full.

onyx725 said:
Hi Fretie,

Nice to know you are playing with two groups. Is one the group that plays at the Japanese Cultural Centre? What is the other group? Any chance I can join you guys? I used to go to the Van Uke Circle in St James Hall but haven’t been there in months.

Emily

Hey Emily, I replied to your message yesterday but it did not send...here goes again..

Yes, the Friday morning group meets at the Japanese Cultural Centre in Steveston and there is a similar group On Wednesday nights at West Richmond Community Centre. These uke meetup groups are part of the 55+ program and all you need to join is a $12 annual 55+ activity pass which can be purchased at the community centre office.

If you decide to join either or both groups give me a shout and I can introduce you to the group leader(s).

cheers,
Erin

Thanks Erin! If both groups are open to under 55, I will surely join!

Emily

Top Bottom