Collings UT1 from Guitar Center, HELP

Thx to everyone for your replies.

I hemmed and hawed and hawed some more, and finally decided this UT-1 just isn't my muse.
Mainly because of the finish (I believe that it's been sprayed over the satin finish rather than just buffed out, but did not have a luthier look at it), and because of the slight cigarette smell (how does one get THAT out?).

I couldn't tell reading on-line if it was a three day ("vintage instruments ") or 45 day return policy, and was headed up for the Spring Creek Ukulele Carnival for the weekend, so brought it back on my way out of town yesterday for a total refund.
Sounds like someone here will want it anyway:
It's in the Roseville, MN store, and actually back on line tonight (still "Walnut" and still "Excellent"):
Ut1 Ukulele: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Collings/Ut1-Ukulele.gc

The neck is straight. It plays well but desperately needs new strings (the A is dead!) before you'll know what it sounds like. I didn't change them because I wasn't sure that was allowed on a return. In retrospect, however, I don't think GC would ever know the difference!
I couldn't find evidence of cracks or repairs. As mentioned, the headstock has a big ding on a back corner. The only place the (perfect!) satin finish shows is the back of the headstock. The neck is so shiney it's sticky.
The thing is feather-light, and that in and of itself does give the sense of the magic of a Collings... sigh.

Please let me know if you buy it, I'd love to hear what happens with this one...
I hope it makes someone happy.

Good sound thinking. It looks like it is sold again, already!

... and because of the slight cigarette smell (how does one get THAT out?).

Cigarette smell can frequently be removed by sealing up the offending object in a plastic bag along with some newsprint paper inside or surrounding the object. After 4-5 days, check to see if the smell persists. If so, replace the paper with fresh newsprint, seal up the bag again, and check back in a few more days.

... and because of the slight cigarette smell (how does one get THAT out?).

Cigarette smell can frequently be removed by sealing up the offending object in a plastic bag along with some newsprint paper inside or surrounding the object. After 4-5 days, check to see if the smell persists. If so, replace the paper with fresh newsprint, seal up the bag again, and check back in a few more days.

Thx for this!
How about the leather chair I got at the thrift store, LOL.

OK, who bought the Collings? I can't wait to see what you think...

A UT2 would have tortoise bindings on both the front and back - and a perfect nitrocellulose finish. This is a UT1 with Collings' haircut headstock.

Thx for this!
How about the leather chair I got at the thrift store, LOL.

You could try stuffing pieces of newsprint into the various crevices of the chair (and under the chair cushion if it lifts up), then tape more newsprint together to wrap around the chair itself, then wrap the whole thing in a sheet of inexpensive plastic (usually found in the paint department of your local hardware store). :)

Top Bottom