Kmise KMU 21S

maki66

Reaction score
One of my co workers bought this recently and I had an opportunity to do an extensive test drive. I liked it, I liked it a lot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=VW2VSFT3R85DTJB75CD0

I LOVE the OEM D'Addario strings, its a nice touch. Usually budget ukuleles come with horrible strings that MUST be changed out immediately. Not the case here. If the second set that comes with the ukulele is D'Addario strings as well this counts as a $10 value.

The bridge is also beginner friendly and when your strings do need to be replaced in a year or so, tying them off will be easy. Its my favorite bridge style.
The main thing, of course, is the sound. These sound very good for an all laminate instrument.
I really like laminates for easy care. You can neglect them to a large extant with no worries, great for n00bs. Or as
knock around for some one with more expensive, but precious solid wood ukuleles.
I'll be ordering one for myself, not that I need 38 ukuleles, but for the price why not?
Price is $41 with free shipping for Prime members.
I recon this to be as good a value as anyone can currently find.

It's a fine uke and I'm glad someone else likes it too. I passed mine on to a friend, not because I don't like it, but because I do. I wanted her to have a good start with an instrument she'd enjoy.

Does it compare favorably with a Kala KA-15S ($54)?
That's kind of my yardstick... and go-to when I set up a new player.

Last edited:
Does it compare favorably with a Kala KA-15S ($54)?
That's kind of my yardstick... and go-to when I set up a new player.
It comes set up perfectly out of the box, which is more than I can say about any Kala I've bought. It's light as a feather. The tuners are nice. The accessories are exceptional. It sounds great and it's loud. I've only seen the Makala version of that one, but I'd say yes.

And look at all the stuff that comes with it!
I hadn't looked closely at the link. Wonder if Chris Choirguy has reviewed this one...

Hi Tracie!
I don't have that particular Kala, though we have 4 other Kalas and really enjoy them.
I would bet that this Kmise sounds and plays better out of the box, if I had to guess.
Its quite lovely for a budget instrument.
Best regards

One of my co workers bought this recently and I had an opportunity to do an extensive test drive. I liked it, I liked it a lot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...beb-4819111bef9a&pf_rd_r=VW2VSFT3R85DTJB75CD0

I LOVE the OEM D'Addario strings, its a nice touch. Usually budget ukuleles come with horrible strings that MUST be changed out immediately. Not the case here. If the second set that comes with the ukulele is D'Addario strings as well this counts as a $10 value.

The bridge is also beginner friendly and when your strings do need to be replaced in a year or so, tying them off will be easy. Its my favorite bridge style.
The main thing, of course, is the sound. These sound very good for an all laminate instrument.
I really like laminates for easy care. You can neglect them to a large extant with no worries, great for n00bs. Or as
knock around for some one with more expensive, but precious solid wood ukuleles.
I'll be ordering one for myself, not that I need 38 ukuleles, but for the price why not?
Price is $41 with free shipping for Prime members.
I recon this to be as good a value as anyone can currently find.

Guys, what do you think of the ukuleles from https://www.strong-wind.com/ukuleles ? :)

Hi Steve.
I don't have any experience with that brand.

It looks good on paper. But a couple things to consider;

What is the cost of shipping? If it needs a set up job, can you do it yourself? Its not too hard, but most people don't want to mess with that.

What if you don't like it and want to return it? Will you be paying return shipping?
Buying from a reputable dealer, or Amazon goes a long way in your favor if things aren't perfect for you after purchase.
That said, I do love a bargain, and I'd be tempted to gamble at those prices, just remember that it is a gamble.

just got delivery of a Kmise thin body tenor (zebrawood) which i will most likely pass along
to my sons... after I have fun with it :)

I'm planning on giving them a soprano, concert, and tenor uke just so they will have something
they could pick up if they wanted to try to make music with a uke. No pressure, but they
know I'm into ukes very heavily, so it's not an unusual gift on my part.

I've also ordered another laminate tenor with slotted headstock. No name, but spalted Maple
so visually interesting.

anyway, keep uke'in' everybody!

There are LOTS of the Kmise brand on Ebay, including an astonishingly affordable banjo uke.
For me, the name on the headstock leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds like lingerie, LOL.
Nevertheless, price is terrific.

Top Bottom