ZOOM H5 as external mic for iPad...

S11LKO

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I like to just video myself playing and singing using my iPad. It's only for my own fun and to bung some stuff on YouTube - nothing professional.

To date, the built in camera app and mic of the iPad have sufficed, and to be honest, the sound quality in general (the recording not the sound of my voice & playing lol) has been surprisingly good - considering.

However, someone has told me that I can get better sound by connecting my ZOOM H5 recorder direct to my iPad using an Apple Camera Connector (costing a whopping £30 UK) thereby using the ZOOM as a better quality external mic.

I like the sound of this, but paying 30 quid if in fact that WON'T work is something I'd like to avoid.

Has anyone ever done this or can advise me please?

I don't think you will get an overall better quality of sound, the Zoom can record raw sound in a big file, but you will then compess it & lose all that extra quality, most likely, especially if posting online, & maybe your computer can't play back that quality, with its 'poor' quality speakers, etc.

Maybe if you went into a proper recording studio it would be worthwhile, but I don't see the point at home/personal recording. I use a Zoom sometimes, mine is set to record to mp3 as I only listen on my computer, & post online to forums via Youtube.

Hmm, well, if the iPad mic is sufficient for your needs, then fine, but I have to believe the Zoom will provide much greater quality even if recording in MP3 mode as long as it is a decent bit rate like 320. Whether you or your listeners can "make use of" the extra quality may be a different issue.

It should work. I'm not familiar with the Zoom exactly but I have connected my Blue Yeti mic to my iPad with the "Lightning to USB camera adapter" to record into Cubasis and AudioShare. This is full WAV (i.e. 16-bit/44.1kHz) quality. I usually edit/mix my audio in Cubasis and then combine with video in LumaFusion to post to YouTube.

Is that "overkill"? Throwing my pearls before the YouTube swine? :p I dunno, but I've been satisfied with that level of quality for my purposes. Your standards may be higher or lower than mine of course.

Oh, you wouldn't believe just *HOW* low my standards can be young Jim! lol
Thanks for your thoughts buddy.

Thanks for the input (Ha! Mics. Input. Geddit?)
SailingUke.

I think overall, I'll chance the £30 and give one a try.

I'd thought about buying one of the 'fit for purpose mics' that Apple sell in its store, but they start from about £250 over here and I'm only doing this for fun, so if this doesn't work out for me I'll stick with the built in mic of my iPad.

Thanks again everyone.

Compressed files or not, you can definately hear the difference between a decent external mic and the build in mic!
I dont know if the Zoom is the best option, but I have heard people being happy with it. I tried to connect my wifes zoom to my PC once, didnt work, but that was an old zoom model.
Other options includes Shure MV usb microphone series, that all come with lightning. But I prefer the sound of my Blue Yeti over my Mv5. Somebody is bound to mention the Apogee mic soon, as that should work wonders with Apple products, but that is way Pricier that that cable.

Thanks UV. Yes, I have looked at the other mics you mention but as you say, quite expensive. Why Apple have to deliberately make it frustratingly difficult for 3rd Party kit to work with their products I don't know; but can be explained by the fact they've just become America's first trillion dollar company I suppose! lol
Thanks for your thoughts.

Top Bottom