Suggestions for ohana soprano with fatty body case or semi foam gig bag?

CYN

Reaction score
Have an Ohana Cedar/rosewood soprano with fatty body and need a case. Want something not too expensive but protective and able to take on trips maybe even airline. Most of the cases I have looked at fit 5" upper bout and 6 1/2" lower bout. Mine is 5 1/2" upper bout and 7" lower bout. Got any suggestions? Thanks!

I have a couple of those well nourished Ohana sopranos. They fit nicely in a 'Gator' hard shell case.

John Colter.

Not to hi-jack the thread too much, but what are these "fatty" Ohana sopranos?

I don't know if they are still being made, but about ten years back, Ohana made some sopranos with slightly bigger bodies. They were wider at the bouts and also deeper, front to back. They won't fit in some regular soprano cases.

I've got the SK50MG and SK300G. Very nice ukes.

John Colter.

Yes, the ones with laminate willow or mahogany backs and solid cedar tops; lovely instruments!

Their lower bouts are a bit bigger (both wider & thicker if I remember correctly; mine is lent out to someone) than the 'standard' Ohana sopranos - which might well explain the full and rich tone.

I don't know if they are still being made, but about ten years back, Ohana made some sopranos with slightly bigger bodies. They were wider at the bouts and also deeper, front to back. They won't fit in some regular soprano cases.

I've got the SK50MG and SK300G. Very nice ukes.

John Colter.

Mele made a soprano with a bigger body - I never saw one but I also wondered what I might do about a case should I purchase one. I have now headed in the opposite direction of a long neck soprano and a longneck concert.

I wish I had the specific link, but one of the cheapie (under $30) Chinese direct cases on Ebay were actually too big in the body for a Kiwaya. They were that stickier (requiring a two handed opening in the concert and tenor size) black faux alligator, also came in mustard yellow tweed. It fit a long neck too.

Looking for the link, I just discovered it's not there anymore. Neither are a lot of other listings for similar cases! (Do the president's tariffs on Chinese goods affect cheap ukulele cases??)
It did look like this one currently on Ebay, even had the same red stitching.
Something is blocking me from linking, please search
"Thick padded Hard Soprano Ukulele Gig Bag 21" Ukulele Case Uke Carry Bag".
It is NOT a bag, LOL. Clearly someone speaks English as a second language, even though it says NJ.

Top Bottom