Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tuning

An "E" Charango string is what you want. I'm not sure if you can get them in singles, but. . .

I can't seem to provide a link, since it's interpreted as spam, but www.sweetwater.com has la-bella c80 charango strings at $5.49/set. You'll get two E strings which are .019. There are also two each of A - .028, E - .033, C- .024 and G -.030. I've never played a charango and it seems like a weird tuning, but that's what the package says.

Another option is to tune D4G4B4E4, i.e. cuatro style tuning. This is how I tune my soprano at the moment and I love it. Avoids the very thin E5 issue entirely.

OK, I tried D4, G4, B4, E5. Aquila Nylguts and a piece of 20 pound fishing line for the E5 string. It works, as in nothing broke. It sounds very tinny and annoying. But it was an experience. I'll leave it for a few days but I expect I will still not like it.

And... the 20# fishing line tuned to E5 broke, just as I was starting to like the sound. I've got a busy 3-4 days, it will probably be the weekend before I can try again. But I've got the whole spool, I will try again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pondoro View Post
    And... the 20# fishing line tuned to E5 broke, just as I was starting to like the sound. I've got a busy 3-4 days, it will probably be the weekend before I can try again. But I've got the whole spool, I will try again!
    It happens, but it's the only alternative fo E5 that I've ever found that lastsfor any amount of time. For me it has always taken a couple days for it to stabilize, getting to tune, leaving it alone for half a day, retune, leave alone again, etc. It's an aggrevating process. That's why I finally gave up on GDAE and went CGDA.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

* CGDA reentrant, **DAEB, ***GDAE, The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thread Information