Thomastik or other combo strings for baritone

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has any one tried and can recommend a string combination for baritone that preferably has Thomastik strings ? My 18 inch Ono has a Frankenstring combination that is amazing (it includes thomastik) and I was wondering what folks have tried out there for traditional baritone scale..

My 20.25” scale Hoffmann Baritone has the flat wound Thomastik bases recently installed. The trebles are what’s left of the previous Southcoast set. Don’t know what I will do yet when those need replacement so am very interested to hear about others experience.

I believe the usual recommendation is CF35 and CF30: https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...feld-63/classic-n-series-88/cf127-chrome-165/

I have this set on a 19" scale guilele in Terz: G2 C3 F3 Bb3 D4 G4

They are low to medium in this configuration so I imagine would be medium as DG on your 18" and probably high-ish on hollisdwyer's 20" DG.

For the trebles, I suppose you could use the next two strings in the full set, but most folks opt for flouros instead of these nylons.

I believe the usual recommendation is CF35 and CF30: https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...feld-63/classic-n-series-88/cf127-chrome-165/

I have this set on a 19" scale guilele in Terz: G2 C3 F3 Bb3 D4 G4

They are low to medium in this configuration so I imagine would be medium as DG on your 18" and probably high-ish on hollisdwyer's 20" DG.

For the trebles, I suppose you could use the next two strings in the full set, but most folks opt for flouros instead of these nylons.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my bari is tuned Bb. (F, Bb, D, G).

There are so many strings you can use with those Thomastik wounds. I use a number of different single strings from strings by mail. From the classical guitar section the Oasis Pyramid or Savarez. Use something around .024 for the E string and .027 for the B string. If you prefer nylon try Thomastik CN 27 and CN 31 for E and B respectively..Oasis have single nylons as does D'Addario in diameter .028 and .032 for E and B.

As with other sized ukes, I have found different builds work best with different strings. Some seem to respond best to high tension, some to medium and some to light tension. With that in mind, here are a few examples of how I have my baritones strung

Stansell baritone 20" scale(DGBE) ~ likes low tension strings - Aquila wound D (22U) and G (49U) , Worth Brown baritone B and E
Pono baritone 20" scale(DGBE) ~ likes high tension strings - Thomastik Infeld CF35/CF30, Hannabach Nylon 8152SHT/8151SHT
Kinnard baritone 20" scale(EAC#F#) likes medium tension strings- Thomastik Infeld CF30/CF27 Savarez 542J/541J
Ono 18" Tenor (FBbDG) - Likes light-medium tension - Thomastik Infeld CF30/CF27 Worth Brown tenor E and A strings

have fun experimenting with different combos :)

Stansell baritone 20" scale(DGBE) ~ likes low tension strings - Aquila wound D (22U) and G (49U) , Worth Brown baritone B and E
I just got a Les Stansell Baritone, it is awesome!! He had the same wounds but living water on by default, will try the browns!

Huh. You have the CF35 tuned to F3 on 20" scale? That must be incredibly high tension. I have the CF30 as F3 on 19" scale.

I wouldn’t say incredibly high tension at all. Maybe a bit more than the full set of Southcoast heavy medium’s that I replaced with the TE’s.

I wouldn’t say incredibly high tension at all. Maybe a bit more than the full set of Southcoast heavy medium’s that I replaced with the TE’s.

Yea I agree with Hollis. I have the Thomastik CF35 & CF30 wounds on my 22" scale length LfdM baritone. Remember they are made for classical guitars with a scale length of close to 26". Although those diameters are for A and D it all works out because the tension is less on the shorter scales.

Last edited:
I have the Thomastik CF30 & CF27 wounds on my 22" scale length LfdM baritone. Remember they are made for classical guitars with a scale length of close to 26". Although those diameters are for A and D it all works out because the tension is less on the shorter scales.
What do you have them tuned as on the LfdM? If I'm understanding correctly, these would be D-G on full scale classical, so getting to F-Bb on 22" does sound like about the same tension. But Hollis said he was using CF35&CF30. I don't see how you can both be right. I'm not saying you aren't, just that it doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

What do you have them tuned as on the LfdM? If I'm understanding correctly, these would be D-G on full scale classical, so getting to F-Bb on 22" does sound like about the same tension. But Hollis said he was using CF35&CF30. I don't see how you can both be right. I'm not saying you aren't, just that it doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Sorry Jim, I meant CF35 and CF 30, I have corrected my post. I am a standard tuning guy so I was referring to DGBE.

Last edited:
Just as a fun fact I use the TE CF30 & CF27 as the bases on all my Tenors now. They are just great when you slide up or down the fretboard. Absolutely silent and feels so smooth.

Last edited:
As with other sized ukes, I have found different builds work best with different strings. Some seem to respond best to high tension, some to medium and some to light tension. With that in mind, here are a few examples of how I have my baritones strung

Pono baritone 20" scale(DGBE) ~ likes high tension strings - Thomastik Infeld CF35/CF30, Hannabach Nylon 8152SHT/8151SHT
Kinnard baritone 20" scale(EAC#F#) likes medium tension strings- Thomastik Infeld CF30/CF27 Savarez 542J/541J
Ono 18" Tenor (FBbDG) - Likes light-medium tension - Thomastik Infeld CF30/CF27 Worth Brown tenor E and A strings

have fun experimenting with different combos :)
Much appreciated! Thank you!

Do the Thomastik Infeld wound strings squeak? I’d like to get rid of the squeaking but use 2 wound strings for DGBE.

Top Bottom