Soprano fresh off the bench - Photo Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Here's the first of a batch of 6 instruments just completed. It's an Ambrosia Maple and King Billy Pine soprano with Blackwood bindings and Ebony fret board. Finished in high gloss.

Ambrosia Maple King Billy Pine Soprano1.jpgAmbrosia Maple King Billy Pine Soprano2.jpgAmbrosia Maple King Billy Pine Soprano3.jpgAmbrosia Maple King Billy Pine Soprano4.jpgAmbrosia Maple King Billy Pine Soprano5.jpg

Beautiful work! Which back and side wood did you use here?

Last edited:
Stunning! A real work of art.

I have always liked the shape of your upper bout Allen, And I hadn't envisioned how it would look on a soprano, I must say it is gorgeous!

As always, beautiful. Is the headstock longer than your usual, or is this a soprano illusion? Does the length of it allow you a slighter turn in the strings, at the nut?

Certainly a very beautiful instrument and unusual in being a soprano. I also see there are 14 frets to the body.

I know you are a very experienced maker but I am wondering whether this required some development/experimentation or did you simply scale down your usual concert, remove the fan bracing and get it right first time?

As always, beautiful. Is the headstock longer than your usual, or is this a soprano illusion? Does the length of it allow you a slighter turn in the strings, at the nut?

It's the same lenght as my other headstock. 125mm from nut to top.

Certainly a very beautiful instrument and unusual in being a soprano. I also see there are 14 frets to the body.

I know you are a very experienced maker but I am wondering whether this required some development/experimentation or did you simply scale down your usual concert, remove the fan bracing and get it right first time?

It happens that the standard 13 3/" scale length of a soprano puts the saddle pretty much in the centre of the lower bout with 14 frets to the body. With all my other instruments it's 12 frets to the body with the standard scale length. If there is some other fret to body join, then I have modified the scale length.

Top Bottom