Multi-recording, or whatever it's called?

S11LKO

Reaction score
Hi guys 'n' gals,

I have watched videos on YouTube where members of 'a band' - each member located far away from each of the others, sometimes even other countries - all play their part of the same song, and the resulting videos are put together in a sort of multi-screen effect showing each participant but with the combined soundtracks making up the one song; a bit like just watching the whole band in the same room at the same time.

I'm sure this technique must have a technical name but it's way over my head.

Do any of you know anything about this? Is it difficult to do? Does each member need much equipment or software?

It just strikes me as a great fun thing to do, collaborating on a musical project and being able play and sing with your buddies when you can't physically get together easily.

It's called multi-cam recording and editing. I did an audio only a couple years ago with a group of people here in memory of a uke player that was killed in a Louisiana theater shooting.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Thanks Mike - I'll look further into it.
Your 'tribute piece' was a nice thing to do

Hi guys 'n' gals,

I have watched videos on YouTube where members of 'a band' - each member located far away from each of the others, sometimes even other countries - all play their part of the same song, and the resulting videos are put together in a sort of multi-screen effect showing each participant but with the combined soundtracks making up the one song; a bit like just watching the whole band in the same room at the same time.

I'm sure this technique must have a technical name but it's way over my head.

Do any of you know anything about this? Is it difficult to do? Does each member need much equipment or software?

It just strikes me as a great fun thing to do, collaborating on a musical project and being able play and sing with your buddies when you can't physically get together easily.

Brother Dave -

There is a 99% chance that the videos you see were done via BandHub. Typically they have a watermark or logo on them somewhere to 'brand' the video.

I've been meaning to check it out myself, but lack the time. Several members on here have used it and shared videos>

This is the site: https://bandhub.com/

Blurb on the front page reads:

Online Music Collaboration

We are an online community of bassists, guitarists, drummers and more.

We make kick-ass music together online. We listen to and support each other.

Any decent video editing software will allow you to fit multiple recordings on the same screen. I consider myself only moderately tech-savvy, but I use Powerdirector, mentioned above by Jerry, to do multi-cam stuff on most of my YouTube videos. Just import all the individual recordings and insert them into the timeline. It does help if all of the individual recordings are of roughly the same quality.

I can't remember the software, but I think there is one that allows simultaneous "conferencing" and playing with each participant appearing in one segment of the screen. I don't know how they deal with time delays.

I have also talked with people that have basically received the primary track and then recorded their part whilst listening to the foundation. That allowed each of the players to be in sync with the main track and by extension with each other.

Here is a video I just did for Cynthia Lin.

May not be exactly what you are look for as the clips were all made without any coordination between the players. But, I did learn one thing that will help you in your video. And I sure could not find a search term for this sort of video!

1. Make sure each player is in the same key.
2. And uses a metronome using the same BPM.
3. And uses a cam at the same resolution if possible.

cheers, Victor

If you are thinking of recording a live performance with players from around the world. Then you might look into Zoom or Skype. But, there is latency problems with both.

Thanks Mike - I'll look further into it.
Your 'tribute piece' was a nice thing to do

This is the song we did, "Cross That Bridge" in memory of Jillian Johnson who played ukulele in the band The Figs. We each received the original track (the guy who starts out) and music PDF, then we recorded and sent him our pieces. I did the bass uke (learned the bass a few weeks before). I used Garage Band, imported his track, played it back using a headphone so it would not spill on my bass track, and it took me at least 20-30 takes to get what I sent him.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Cross That Bridge.mp3

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Thanks for ALL your contributions everyone. I’m looking into them all.
Mike: That recording is great. Shows what can be done with a little effort.

Top Bottom