Kala Tenor Guitar

I haven't played one, but I've read good reviews on them. There are some videos on YouTube of it.

What is your budget? Others to consider are the Blueridge BR-40T, and the Ibanez AVT-1.

I like the Kala because of it’s size. I picked one a bit at the shop I go to, and, as I remember, it’s not much bigger than a baritone uke! I like Kalas too.

I’m also thinkin’ about the Blueridge BR-40T, but, so far, I’m only at the thinkin’ stage. :eek:ld:

True, the Kala is a shorter scale than the others - I think somewhere in the 21.5" range? The other two are closer to 23" scale.

Tried the Kayla and Ibanez avt-1 at the same time and both are very nice but I much preferred the feel and sound of the Ibanez. I bought the avt-1 and am extremely happy with it. The Ibanez has more of a banjo profile neck while the Kayla is more uke.

I had the Blueridge BR-40T briefly. It’s quality but felt way too big for me. In retrospect one of those smaller ones would have been better (or a baritone too).

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Kala. They had a Gold Tone, but it was just too huge. The Kala Tenor Guitar is just a little bigger than my baritone uke. I wanted it because it’s tuned to fifths (CGDA), and it has steel strings. They gave me a gig bag too, and I bought a tenor guitar book too.

So far so good, and the book looks pretty helpful. :eek:ld:

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Kala. They had a Gold Tone, but it was just too huge. The Kala Tenor Guitar is just a little bigger than my baritone uke. I wanted it because it’s tuned to fifths (CGDA), and it has steel strings. They gave me a gig bag too, and I bought a tenor guitar book too.

So far so good, and the book looks pretty helpful. :eek:ld:

Congrsts. Tenor guitar is a lot of fun. The Kala has a nice sound.

Congrsts. Tenor guitar is a lot of fun. The Kala has a nice sound.

Yeah, I was interested in a Blueridge BR40T, but the store where I shopped didn’t have one.

I’ve been bangin’ away at it all day (except for a nap), and it sounds okay to me. :eek:ld:

Yeah, I was interested in a Blueridge BR40T, but the store where I shopped didn’t have one.

I’ve been bangin’ away at it all day (except for a nap), and it sounds okay to me. :eek:ld:

I had a chance to try a Kala once. It's not as bass as the Blueridge, actually closer to the Martin. It does sound sweet.

I had a chance to try a Kala once. It's not as bass as the Blueridge, actually closer to the Martin. It does sound sweet.

It seems very easy to play. It must be set up just right for me, and I like the neck size and feel.

I think the chords are gonna be a trial though. They look like four finger agony. I’m not much of a chord player anyway, but so far D7 is my only battle. Fingerpicking is easy peasy though.

Well, time will tell. It always does. :eek:ld:

Congratulations brother. I started with tenor guitar maybe 2 years ago (Blueridge) they are way fun. It really scratched the itch I had for the steel string sound. You must be careful it doesn't lead you down the road to six strings as it did me.:p It's all good though as I have a lot of fun and don't have to pay my bills with my playing. Good thing too as I wouldn't like ending up broke and home less

Last edited:
Well, I played my Irish banjo so far today, but all that whacking away at the Tenor Guitar seems to have improved my banjoing too! Now, if I could only remember things . . .

And yes, TGs are “way fun”!

Last edited:
My Tenor Guitar is easy-peasy to play, and tunes just jump to my fingers. The only thing bad is I can’t put it down.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Kala tenor guitar. Found one new on sale for $97 with free shipping and a gig bag!

Top Bottom