How do I ship a ukulele ?

iamcairn

Reaction score
Hello, I have a friend that is deployed and he would like his ukelele, so How exactly do I ship it to him ? it's a concert size one, he also wants the case...So I don't know how to do this.
I went to USPS and checked and saw that with the dimension I would have to pay 96$ does that sound about right ?
or can I just s** the case with the instrument in it ?

You should put the uke in the case with some paper padding, then put that in a cardboard box that might be found at a box store with paper padding. If it's a hard sided case, the weight would be the reason for the cost. I've received and shipped ukes Los Angeles-Vietnam with a light soft gig bag for about $67.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
That does seem very expensive especially if it's to an APO address. I thought that was normal USPS pricing. For comparison I just received a baritone with hard case this week and it was about $55 and that was with insurance.

FWIW, I've sent a concert with case (foam core, not hard) internationally for about $65 - to Nicaragua but that was a few years ago.

On the bubble wrap - just make sure it doesn't contact the uke directly. There have been reports of bubble wrap doing very bad things to the finish on ukes.

There have been reports of bubble wrap doing very bad things to the finish on ukes.

I changed my earlier post to paper padding, not bubble wrap.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I would think that sending a ukulele to an APO I or an FPO would not be any more expensive than sending it to another state, and that ain't a lot. I wonder if the OP is trying to send it to a physical address somewhere overseas rather to an APO or an FPO. I know that when I was stationed overseas I got mail both ways.

Top Bottom