Is this build playable/possible to build?

Eyeinthenight

Reaction score
ukulele ask if playable.jpg

Hi, I found this on the internet and wondered "does this work?" Every video or instructions on how to build an uke, does not have this kind of soundboard approach.

I'm thinking of building an tenor ukulele. But I still want to put some artistic value into it, that doesn't affect the sound far to much.

pyrography or carving is all "no! you shouldn't..." So could this be an possible option?

I have done similar tops a couple of times, and they sounded fine. Used a slightly thinner solid mahogany top and glued thin veneer pieces on it. Trick is to avoid the glue used bleeding thru the veneer. Franklin liquid hide glue worked well for that, if it did bleed thru, it could easily be cleaned up with warm water.

Brad

Messing with the lower bout of the top with inlay and this full veneering is asking for tonal trouble- it will still sound ukey, and maybe even pretty good but never great. However the look IS cool!- would make a good stage instrument.

I would say you might be over reaching if this is your first build. Build a basic ukulele and then go for the artistic effect on the next build.

Top Bottom