Considering my first Blond Uke

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My recent positive health outcome has encouraged me to feel the rumblings of UAS again. As all my Ukes have bodies of dark woods (cocobolo, Hondurian Mahogany, ebony, tassie Blackwood), I have been considering a blond wood for the next.
Allen McFarlen (Barron River), just showed me a beautiful set of Sugar Box Maple. Looks luscious.

I really am thrilled about your positive health outcomes Hollis and it is good to have a goal. Getting another uke and a blonde one to boot is a very good goal. Because you come from a guitar background I can understand the draw maple would have. Its a wonderful looking wood and I love it as well. Brenda has an all maple Kala Elite that sounds great, much warmer and fuller than one would assume an all maple instrument would be. Are you thinking all maple or with a spruce top?

Luis is building a sitka spruce and maple tenor with maple neck in the batch my super tenor is being made. Here is a picture of them together, should be ready in 3 -4 weeks. I can do picture updates for you, although this is bespoken it will give you some eye candy.

20180817_171724.jpg

Last edited:
I really am thrilled about your positive health outcomes Hollis and it is good to have a goal. Getting another uke and a blonde one to boot is a very good goal. Because you come from a guitar background I can understand the draw maple would have. Its a wonderful looking wood and I love it as well. Brenda has an all maple Kala Elite that sounds great, much warmer and fuller than one would assume an all maple instrument would be. Are you thinking all maple or with a spruce top?

Luis is building a sitka spruce and maple tenor with maple neck in the batch my super tenor is being made. Here is a picture of them together, should be ready in 3 -4 weeks. I can do picture updates for you, although this is bespoken it will give you some eye candy.

View attachment 111457

Two pieces of good news.

Dave, I was thinking of that gorgeous 3000 year old Spruce that Allen uses but, after some discussion, I think I will go with Alaskan Yellow Cedar ( harder that WRC and sonically better than the Spruce),

Jerry, yes, a life affirming decision.

Dave, I was thinking of that gorgeous 3000 year old Spruce that Allen uses but, after some discussion, I think I will go with Alaskan Yellow Cedar ( harder that WRC and sonically better than the Spruce),

Jerry, yes, a life affirming decision.

Good call on the Alaskan Yellow Cedar. After Sitka spruce it is Luis's favorite tone wood. He stated flat out that every uke he has built with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top has sounded fantastic. I really like Barron River ukuleles, Allan makes wonderful instruments. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on one more than a few times.

Good call on the Alaskan Yellow Cedar. After Sitka spruce it is Luis's favorite tone wood. He stated flat out that every uke he has built with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top has sounded fantastic. I really like Barron River ukuleles, Allan makes wonderful instruments. I have come so close to pulling the trigger on one more than a few times.

Allen’s work is impeccable and with the exchange rate as it is it represents great value for Americans.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't know about your illness Hollis, but congratulations on your recovery.

I like my myrtle MP tenor uke very much.

Maple is a wonderful tone wood. I hope it meets your expectations.

Since I'm a newbie, I don't know about your illness Hollis, but congratulations on your recovery.

I like my myrtle MP tenor uke very much.

Maple is a wonderful tone wood. I hope it meets your expectations.

Thanks Kenn, I’m sure it will. I always liked guitars made of Maple. Particularly Gibson J200’s.

Thanks Kenn, I’m sure it will. I always liked guitars made of Maple. Particularly Gibson J200’s.

My J200 is an Antoria "clone" from the '70's, but it left me with an eternal desire for blonde instruments.

Probably somewhat downmarket from what you're looking at, I enjoy my "Brunswick" ukuleles from "Barnes & Mullins" in the UK. I have the BU5B baritone and the BU5T tenor.

I rarely feel the need for anything smaller, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to get a concert or soprano from the same series.

Good luck :music:

Top Bottom