Ukulele Beginning Music Reading

As someone who has zero musical background, This is where I’m at and it definitely helps. I still manually write the notes on the paper since it’s faster easier for me though!

[QUOTE
But you don't have to make it all complicated. It is really just a two-step process. 1: learn the notes of the musical staff (FACE & Every Good Boy Does Fine) and, 2: learn where those notes are located on your uke. Once you know these two things you can play things that you read. Of course, there is more. There's rests, time signatures, note durations, and a lot of little things. However if you have heard the song before and you know the notes, then you can play the notes as you've heard them.[/QUOTE]

Old thread but I was searching for books on reading notation for ukulele and ran across this thread. There is a new book out by Terry Carter that came out in June of 2018. I just ordered it so can't say much about it, but it does focus exclusively on reading notation. I have been using a instruction book for soprano recorder to get the basics as it is in about the same range (just over two octaves) but because it is not specifically geared to ukulele it has its limitations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982615159/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just an update as I received the book and have worked through it.

Not a good book for learning to read notation. It is very skimpy on exercises and practice materiel. The method also has serious flaws that will leave a beginning student confused. The chapter on sharps and flats is 2 pages, and that's it. That alone should have at least 20 pages of materiel explaining how keys work and plenty of materiel to practice, but instead we get a few pages of rudimentary materiel. The whole book is something a first year collage music student could throw together in a few hours and likely do a better job of it. With this introduction to Terry Carter I would not be inspired to take his on-line course.

For those looking for an introduction to reading notation I would suggest "Essential Elements for Ukulele" by Marty Gross. It is less expensive, covers everything Terry Carter does, and has a better overall approach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom