20's Favilla soprano fixer-upper

Ukecaster

Reaction score
From the 20's, according to Tom Favilla, when I emailed him. This has a flush fingerboard, Last 2 frets appear to have been replaced, the last one especially is much too high, impeding play up high. Playing on the lower frets is fine. No idea on the history of this one, which I got on eBay a year ago. It looks like it may have had the neck and/or back off at some point, possibly a dowel down through the heel, but I'm no luthier.

Original tuners work fine. Has no saddle, needs a new one, it was lost somewhere, can't find it. When I first got it, it played well and sounded great, a sweet vintage tone, aside from the issues caused by the high last 2 frets. To get this one back up and running well, you'd need a new saddle, and probably pull the last fret, or have it filed, although you can play it down low just fine, with no changes to the last 2 frets . $135.00 shipped in CONUS only.

2018-02-15 11.55.41.jpg
2018-02-15 11.54.13.jpg
2018-02-15 11.56.27.jpg
2018-02-15 11.57.30.jpg
2018-02-15 12.01.48.jpg

Last edited:
A missing or replaced 12th fret usually indicates a neck reset. Also any indication if the nut had been replaced? They were usually ebony. What color was the saddle? UkeOG

A missing or replaced 12th fret usually indicates a neck reset.
Also any indication if the nut had been replaced? They were usually ebony. What color was the saddle? UkeOG

As just an observer I find the info on the neck interesting, I didn’t know that that was something done to Ukes and wonder why it might have been needed. We have been told (and I believe Ukecaster) that it played well so if that job was done then it worked.

From the photos it looks like someone has fitted a bone nut, making a saddle to suit wouldn’t put me off at all - I’d probably fit a bone saddle anyway.

Transport and import duties to the U.K. kill the deal for me but if I was in the US then I’d want to jump on this. I’ve seen several old Favilla’s go for quite a bit more and, if things don’t work out, this isn’t big money to loose. To me it looks like a nice little project and a great player for someone, and Ukecaster is someone that I’d trust.

Last edited:
A missing or replaced 12th fret usually indicates a neck reset. Also any indication if the nut had been replaced? They were usually ebony. What color was the saddle? UkeOG

Yes, the last pic shows how it came to me, with a white saddle, I assume it was bone, wish I could find it. I assume the neck was off for a reset, as I see glue around the heel, where it attaches to the body. Looking closer, it appears the back may also have been off at some point, as some finish is missing on the sides, where it meets the back, and I see what looks like stain, or dark glue inside, where the back joins the sides.

Last edited:
Thanks !!

Thanks for the extra info and the photo with bone saddle! I have several 1920s mahogany sopranos. It looks quite nice! ... and I would agree that with a very simple fret file and saddle replacement, someone would have an early Vintage Favilla! UkeOG

This one has been fixed up! Bone saddle installed, the last 2 frets were dressed so they are now playable all the way up. Also the tuners swapped to Pings; original friction tuners also included. Sounds good with Worth Browns. New pics coming.

20191115_111111.jpg
20191115_111121.jpg
20191115_111141.jpg
20191115_111235.jpg
20191115_111226.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!. I love the old Favillas. Great players. I sold one many years back that was feather light and had a huge sound. Sometimes I think about trying to get that one back!

John, do you think that someone turned a one piece saddle/bridge into a two piece somewhere a long the way for better action and intonation?

The bridge reminds me of those one piece bridges seen on the older Favillas.
Maybe why it got lost too (a little looser).

John, do you think that someone turned a one piece saddle/bridge into a two piece somewhere a long the way for better action and intonation?

The bridge reminds me of those one piece bridges seen on the older Favillas.
Maybe why it got lost too (a little looser).

Not sure, but the saddle was in there when I got it. I probably lost it while the strings were off between string changes. I scoured my storage spaces for it, but could never find it.

This one is now $99.00 plus $12.00 shipped in CONUS only.

Updated listing:

Favilla mahogany soprano ukulele from the teens/20's, according to Tom Favilla, when I emailed him. This one has a flush 12-fret fingerboard, with no overhang, I got this here on Reverb a few years back.

It has had repairs done to it over the years: I believe it had a neck reset done, with a dowel down through the heel. The last 2 frets were replaced, probably when a neck reset was done, but they play fine. The back was also apparently replaced with what looks like a single piece of laminate, not positive on that, but it must have been done long ago, as the color matches exactly, and looks old. Action is 2.75 mm at 12th fret. Plenty of wear, this one was played. Only cracks I see are on each side of the upper bouts, but they don't appear to go all the way through, as they can't be seen from the inside, probably just finish cracks or scratches.

Original tuners were lousy, so new Ping tuners have been installed, original black button friction tuners included. Saddle recently replaced with bone by a local shop. Plays and sounds good, a sweet, woody vintage mahogany tone. Strung with Worth Browns.

Audio file, just a basic one into my smartphone: https://soundcloud.com/user-658436488/favilla-uke

Last edited:
That is a crazy good deal. Favillas are great instruments.

I’m kind of stunned this hasn’t sold yet. I’m in selling mode myself, otherwise I would have grabbed this at your old asking price

I’m kind of stunned this hasn’t sold yet. I’m in selling mode myself, otherwise I would have grabbed this at your old asking price

I’m rather stunned too but there are some times of the year that are just slow, folk have other priorities. To my mind it’s an absolute bargain for somebody, definitely something that in another marketplace or at another time would be quickly sold. It might not be all original but heck it sounds great and has had money into it to make it into a good player too - as an instrument to play it’s fantastic value and the price is both small for what you’re getting and back pocket money (inconsequential) for many folk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom