Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20's Favilla soprano fixer-upper

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    John, do you think that someone turned a one piece saddle/bridge into a two piece somewhere a long the way for better action and intonation?

The bridge reminds me of those one piece bridges seen on the older Favillas.
    Maybe why it got lost too (a little looser).
    Not sure, but the saddle was in there when I got it. I probably lost it while the strings were off between string changes. I scoured my storage spaces for it, but could never find it.
    John

This one is now $99.00 plus $12.00 shipped in CONUS only.

Updated listing:

Favilla mahogany soprano ukulele from the teens/20's, according to Tom Favilla, when I emailed him. This one has a flush 12-fret fingerboard, with no overhang, I got this here on Reverb a few years back.

It has had repairs done to it over the years: I believe it had a neck reset done, with a dowel down through the heel. The last 2 frets were replaced, probably when a neck reset was done, but they play fine. The back was also apparently replaced with what looks like a single piece of laminate, not positive on that, but it must have been done long ago, as the color matches exactly, and looks old. Action is 2.75 mm at 12th fret. Plenty of wear, this one was played. Only cracks I see are on each side of the upper bouts, but they don't appear to go all the way through, as they can't be seen from the inside, probably just finish cracks or scratches.

Original tuners were lousy, so new Ping tuners have been installed, original black button friction tuners included. Saddle recently replaced with bone by a local shop. Plays and sounds good, a sweet, woody vintage mahogany tone. Strung with Worth Browns.

Audio file, just a basic one into my smartphone: https://soundcloud.com/user-658436488/favilla-uke
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-05-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    John

That is a crazy good deal. Favillas are great instruments.

Thanks, I agree!
    John

I’m kind of stunned this hasn’t sold yet. I’m in selling mode myself, otherwise I would have grabbed this at your old asking price
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I’m kind of stunned this hasn’t sold yet. I’m in selling mode myself, otherwise I would have grabbed this at your old asking price
    I’m rather stunned too but there are some times of the year that are just slow, folk have other priorities. To my mind it’s an absolute bargain for somebody, definitely something that in another marketplace or at another time would be quickly sold. It might not be all original but heck it sounds great and has had money into it to make it into a good player too - as an instrument to play it’s fantastic value and the price is both small for what you’re getting and back pocket money (inconsequential) for many folk.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 12-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Thread Information