Season 341 - L'esprit de l'escalier

I first discovered the seasons near the end of season 203, and I thought to myself "I might give this a whirl when the next theme is announced." Unfortunately season 204 was "Rump Shaker" and with my limited ability at the time, there was no way I was going to manage anything even remotely dancy, so I waited until season 205 to make my debut. If I had the ability at the time, I might have done something like this, though.

By the way, the strum I used for the verses is surprisingly tricky to maintain, so I slipped up in a few sections. I simplified it for the chorus.

Just caught up with 17 songs from yesterday and this morning and wow you guys are spoiling me!

Only 9 more to hit the 100 Mark, can we do it?

... really grateful to Ryan for coming up with this Season's theme.

Rather harder than you might think to get the chords for this, because all the modern arrangements are, well, modern, and use chords that wouldn't have been available in the 18th century. According to Howard Goodall (who should know), chordal harmony was only really developed in the 17th & 18th centuries, and extended chords (7ths & the like), only came in in the late-19th and early 20th centuries. In particular, the modern version of the melody employs an augmented 5th (in lines 1, 3 & 6), that certainly would have been shunned in 18th century England.

If anyone's interested here's the chords I worked out for this:
Code:
To Anacreon in Heaven

Tempo 6/4

Bb
|... To A-
 Bb                  Gm               F 
|nac-reon in Heaven, where he |sat in full glee, A
 Bb          F          Bb 
|few sons of har-mon-y |sent a pe-ti-tion, That
                  Gm              F 
|he their ins-pir-er and |pat-ron would be, When this 
 Bb         F               Bb     F       Bb 
|ans-wer ar-rived from the |jol-ly old Gre-cian: "Voice,
                       F 
|fiddle and flute, no |longer be mute, I'll 
 Bb          F            Gm          F 
|lend you my name and in-|spire ye to boot, And be-
 Bb            Eb               Cm       Bb   F 
|sides I'll in-struct ye, like |me to en-twine___ The 
 Bb           Gm        Bb       F    Bb
|Myrtle of Ve-nus with |Bac-chus-'s__ Vine."

The augmented (sharpened) 5th that appears in the melody to 'The Star-Spangled Banner' was added by one Thomas Carr in 1814 (the original melody would have been at least 40 years old by then). You can read about all the modifications to the original melody (and much more besides!) here: https://illinoiscmp.weebly.com/uploads/4/1/0/7/41075753/star-spangled_banner_cmp_plan_final.pdf

For more on the context - the 'four wars' of 1812-1814 - there's a very informative article on the Starspangledmusic.org website: http://starspangledmusic.org/british-view-of-the-war-of-1812/.

Last edited:
I first discovered the seasons near the end of season 203, and I thought to myself "I might give this a whirl when the next theme is announced." Unfortunately season 204 was "Rump Shaker" and with my limited ability at the time, there was no way I was going to manage anything even remotely dancy, so I waited until season 205 to make my debut. If I had the ability at the time, I might have done something like this, though.

By the way, the strum I used for the verses is surprisingly tricky to maintain, so I slipped up in a few sections. I simplified it for the chorus.

I'm not surprised you had difficulty with the strum, check out this Nile Rodgers masterclass (fast-forward to 3m30s), you'll soon understand why!

I'm not surprised you had difficulty with the strum, check out this Nile Rodgers masterclass (fast-forward to 3m30s), you'll soon understand why!

Well yeah. I didn't attempt anything like what he does in any part of the song. I just did my best...

This is an Osborne Brothers song I considered doing during my bluegrass Season, but didn't. I figured Ryan would love this song as much as I do! LOL!

I’m reading the book Heroine Complex—about the personal assistant to a superhero—and I thought it would work for Awesome Mix Volume Uke.

I’m back down to 84 subscribers! I’d like to get back to 85 by midnight. Please subscribe to my new YouTube channel.

So I'm nearly at the end of my week when suddenly I think of the ultimate one that got away.

In October 2014, Pa did a repeated words theme which I ended up doing quite a few videos for. Early in the week, Lynda did Love Will Tear Us Apart, and rocked it might I add. So I sheepishly suggested she might lay down some uBass for another Joy Division song, Transmission, for me to solo over.

Obviously she dialled up to 11 and also brought some fab upstrums you just don't hear from her anymore, which you can see here.

In was gearing up to add my stuff, when Louise went into labour with Nathan 5 weeks early. Obviously I didn't have time to stitch together a collab so I encouraged Lynda to post what she'd done as it was pretty much finished anyway and shelved the project.

Nearly four years on, in this season of seasons, I figure I may as well finish the job. Only wish I'd thought of it at the start of the week.

:rock:

Last edited:
Well yeah. I didn't attempt anything like what he does in any part of the song. I just did my best...

Hey, I wasn't being critical, I was sympathising. Apols. I should have said, "I'm not surprised you said you had difficulty with the strum."
(I'm just all over Nile Rodgers masterclasses on YT at the mo. So much to learn from them.)

APOLOGIES FOR INTERRUPTING, BUT THE SEASON 340 WRAP VIDEO IS UP.

As you were ...

I always thought Peter Gabriel was saying "Fruitcake" in this, so that is sort of (an inedible) dessert for the dessert season.

I'll Play the Blues for You

Hi guys, here is my song for this season: I'll Play the Blues for You. I have only been part of the seasons for a short while but I wish that I would have been playing ukulele in Season 158 'We Three Kings' which features 3 of my favourite blues artists BB King, Freddie King and Albert King. This is a famous Albert King tune. To get some blues sustain I am playing my electric Risa LP tenor use with steel strings. The rhythm is on my JazzBoxUke.

Hope you like it...

This song started as an instrumental. It was my first “composition “ on the Uke, sometime in 2010. I started playing in December of 2009.

I came up with words to the tune in the past year. I was working on this for the one minute season, but it would have been a bit rushed to fit under a minute, and no time for a title page. And I ran out of steam that week for other reasons.

So a rare second offering in a single season for me.

“Evening Prelude”

An attempt was made. I wanted to bring this for Season 340 (Doc and Merle), but I mentioned Monterey in passing and figured I’d back-burner it. I don’t love how this turned out, but since I needed a Day 95 and this Season is ending I figured I’d post it anyway.

Please subscribe to my [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDwyjjus8w2V4UOnmXtNjg]new YouTube channel[/URL]!

Greetings,

Today is Labor Day, and in my mind it's still Sunday, but alas it is not and I have screwed up. So please don't bend the rules for this vid, it's just that it's a homemade song that missed a prior season and I feel the need to post it. "Plummeting...Too Close to the Sun"

The song was written about a struggle to reach the unattainable, when you might already have enough (and then failing to realize it). I write many many poems, some day maybe I'll find the time to make real music.

Top Bottom