Is the voice an instrument?

S11LKO

Reaction score
I've just been transferring everything off of my phone ready for a new handset and came across this which I did on holiday recently.

Watching it got me thinking...I'm not playing an instrument in the usual sense of the word, but I WAS having fun and trying (not always succeeding lol) to make the right notes like I have to with ANY instrument I play, so I suppose technically vocal chords COULD be considered an instrument, couldn''t they?

I'd be interested to hear opinions on whether attempting to sing should be considered 'playing an instrument' or should that term only be applied in the traditionally accepted way?

I'm of the opinion that yes the voice is an instrument. The voice, the body, the larynx, lungs, and diaphragm. However one would like to classify the set of organs and tissues that allows one to sing. Yes an instrument. But heck, what do I know???

I too consider the voice an instrument, as does the leader of my uke group, Cali Rose, who is the teacher for the members since it started and continues to be classes for beginners and intermediates.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

You betcha!

Haha! A great response! Short and to the point!! ;)

It seems most responders thus far consider the voice (not necessarily mine, but in general) IS an instrument, and I suppose to sing needs practice and control to sound reasonable just like any musical instrument does.

The bottom line is that ALL musical instruments - biological OR man made - compliment each other and add to the joy of making music.

I suppose to sing needs practice and control to sound reasonable just like any musical instrument does.

I can vouch for that. I never thought I sang well at all and avoided singing around people, even though I played guitar for almost 50 years. Then five years ago I started playing uke and joined The CC Strummers senior strum and sing group. It took a few months, but the continuous use of my voice improved it so that now I'm not self conscious at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Good on you Mike.

I have NEVER rated my own voice, but for some reason it's never bothered me singing in front of people.

I enjoy playing and singing, and just accept the fact that some will like the noise I produce, and some won't.

We can't please everyone, and I've had my fair share of 'haters' over the years, but I've been lucky of late to have received some nice comments in regards to the few bits I've posted on this site, YouTube, Soundcloud and a couple of open mics I've done; and I'm extremely grateful.

Well done on literally 'finding your voice' nowadays. There's nothing like a good sing to make all our troubles seem smaller!

Wow ubulele - you've obviously though about this long and hard; thanks for your informative and interesting response.

As you quite rightly say, near enough anything can be used to make sound, and sound makes music.

When strumming/singing on solo ukulele, it's just me, so I like using my voice to approximate a guitar solo, or other signature lick in a song, since I don't usually have the uke chops to fingerpick it. Voice seems even more like an instrument to me then.

I like using my voice to approximate a guitar solo, or other signature lick in a song, since I don't usually have the uke chops to fingerpick it.

Oh, I'm *OFTEN* in *THAT* situation myself young ukecaster! If I could pick as well as I've tried vocally imitating an electric guitar, I'd be up there with Clapton! lol

The voice has the *potential* to be an instrument.

Most people never achieve that.

The voice has the *potential* to be an instrument.

Most people never achieve that.

Another interesting perspective stillfreeda, and I agree that many people (including myself) never really learn to 'play it' properly.

But if someone can't play, let's say, their violin, does that mean that the violin can't be deemed 'an instrument' until they do?

I love these sorts of discussions and the fact that there are so many differing opinions on them. So interesting.

Thanks for taking part.

Have you seen Victoria Vox do her "mouth trumpet"? Totally cool, and what a great way to make it sound like you actually have a second instrument in the mix!

Top Bottom