Are Leather Straps Safe?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a leather strap for one of my ukuleles and was wondering if leather is considered safe to leave attached to a ukulele? I've poked around on some of the acoustic guitar boards and there seems to be a wide range of opinions from "No way!" to "No problem!" The biggest concerns seem to be with instruments finished with nitrocellulose lacquers, but is that a common finish for ukueles?

Comments/advice welcomed!

I leave a leather strap on mine with no problem so far (only a few weeks though).

There are various kinds of tans and dyes used on leather and various kinds of finishes on ukuleles, so your mileage may vary!

I'm sure there are any number of players that have kept straps on their instruments long-term and never had a problem.... but I won't take that risk myself.

I've been doing it for years. What's the worst case scenario? That you get some abrasions on the heel of the instrument?

I've been doing it for years. What's the worst case scenario? That you get some abrasions on the heel of the instrument?

There have been many cases of the finish of the instrument getting burned and peeling. This can be caused by certain chemicals used in the tanning process. All the reading I have done on it seems to be old instrument with old straps, think 50 years or more. Not sure if the tanning process was different back then

That being said all my instruments have straps with leathers ends or all leather, they are attached 24/7. The oldest is a Larrivee guitar about 15 years old. I have had no issues what so ever on a single instrument

I have had a thin leather strap on my mandolin for 25+ years with no problem. I can't tell you what kind of a finish the mandolin has.

Last edited:
Myself, I only worry about vintage uke finishes. On my vintage Martin sopranos, I use leather Levy mando straps, with the strap hooked onto a bottom strap peg, and leather bootlace tied onto the strap and headstock. They are 1/2" leather, no metal or plastic buckles, only leather-on-leather, with cinch adjustment. I get real leery about buckles of any kind, which could mar the finish. With newer ukes, I'll use the fabric straps with leather ends, as modern finishes are generally poly, UV, or something much tougher. I could be way off here, but know what I like.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--LEVM19PR?siid=229839

I've had leather straps on my ukes for years, no problem. I buy 1 1/2" when I can, if I buy wider, either I or my local shoemaker will cut them down.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I swiped my wife's hippie dippie strap from her old guitar that she played in high school and put it on my brand new Mainland gloss ukulele. Then stuck it in the case with the strap still on it. There were brass rivets in the strap and they scratched the heck out of it. I don't see the scratches anymore, as four years of hard playing has produced lots more competing for attention, but at the time it was traumatic.

there was a second-hand Loprinzi for sale recently that had dark stains on the neck from being stored with a leather strap. As easy as it is to put a strap on and take it off, I'll continue to store my guitars and ukes unstrapped.

Thanks! I just ordered that Levy Mandolin Strap. I like the fact that there are no metal or plastic bits to scratch or damage the finish. I think it's going to be perfect for what I need.

Myself, I only worry about vintage uke finishes. On my vintage Martin sopranos, I use leather Levy mando straps, with the strap hooked onto a bottom strap peg, and leather bootlace tied onto the strap and headstock. They are 1/2" leather, no metal or plastic buckles, only leather-on-leather, with cinch adjustment. I get real leery about buckles of any kind, which could mar the finish. With newer ukes, I'll use the fabric straps with leather ends, as modern finishes are generally poly, UV, or something much tougher. I could be way off here, but know what I like.

Thanks! I just ordered that Levy Mandolin Strap. I like the fact that there are no metal or plastic bits to scratch or damage the finish. I think it's going to be perfect for what I need.

Sounds good. My straps are 100% leather, so there's no scratching. And i should mention that I don't leave the straps on. They wouldn't fit in the case with a strap attached. I have a instrument stand and I'll have the strap attached to the uke whilst it is out and in the stand, but when i put the uke up, the strap comes off. That is, after all, the benefit of strap buttons: it takes one second to attach or take off.

there was a second-hand Loprinzi for sale recently that had dark stains on the neck from being stored with a leather strap. As easy as it is to put a strap on and take it off, I'll continue to store my guitars and ukes unstrapped.
I have been using nylon bootlaces. Paracord would be similar but less thick and cushy. The price is right (had them in the house), they don't scratch anything, and they fit in the case without taking them off the uke. Ukes are light so they are comfortable. Not for everyone, but a good solution for me.

Good advice all round. I have three of the Levy mando straps, they are great. All my tenors and baritones have Sherrins Threads straps, 1-1/2" wide poly with high quality leather ends and plastic buckles that absolutely don't scratch.

15355376672061472692974.jpg

While i don't think anyone can say that there is no leather strap will hurt any kind of finish, i have used leather straps on guitars, banjos and dobros for over fifty years and have personally never had any problem. Some plastic straps can damage finishes, though.

Are Leather Straps Safe?

No!! They should hide.

I have 1/2 inch strip of leather on 2 of my ukes. It has holes at either end for the buttons. I haven’t taken them off in the last year or so, even to put in their hard cases. Figure I’ll wear out and show damage before they do. (They’re what some might call high end ukes. I just call them easy to play and comfortable with those narrow leather straps.)

Top Bottom