Blond Uke Build Starts today

Wow! A really nice build. That maple back is going to look great! I really like the dark wood details inside. Matches the binding? (A joke about the carpet matching the drapes escapes me right now.) Some beautiful woods you have selected.

Can't wait to see the Art Deco headstock.

Thanks Kenn. Although I have always liked Allen’s original headstock design I think his new one is a winner also. I’ve come to appreciate a virgin headstock (one without the makers name) as it really says ‘bespoke’ to me.

That is a terrific design. The blue inlay is elegant and simple. And quite striking. Great choice.

I confess, I do like to see a brand identifier on the headstock of a ukulele. It makes it easy to determine what instrument is used when you listen to a clip or see a performer live. Even in the uke club, it's nice to know what others are playing. Especially if the instrument sounds especially nice. So I'm kind of torn about it. The graphic designer in me appreciates the stylishness of a simple design like yours Hollis. The player in me wants to know what the brand is when I hear an instrument played.

That is a terrific design. The blue inlay is elegant and simple. And quite striking. Great choice.

I confess, I do like to see a brand identifier on the headstock of a ukulele. It makes it easy to determine what instrument is used when you listen to a clip or see a performer live. Even in the uke club, it's nice to know what others are playing. Especially if the instrument sounds especially nice. So I'm kind of torn about it. The graphic designer in me appreciates the stylishness of a simple design like yours Hollis. The player in me wants to know what the brand is when I hear an instrument played.

This will be the second commission where I have no makers mark on the headstock. Both due however have labels, or in Allen’s case, a laser engraved makers ID. Also it’s a conversation starter.

This will be the second commission where I have no makers mark on the headstock. Both due however have labels, or in Allen’s case, a laser engraved makers ID. Also it’s a conversation starter.

The art deco design of the headstock will itself become an identifier for your brand. If it's used consistently. By that I don't mean the color or shape of the inset, but the overall shape and "look" of it. For instance, the "pineapple" or "crown" shape of headstock on a KoAloha instantly tells you that it is one of their instruments. You don't even have to see their logo or look at the label.

After functionality, the reasoning behind builders having a uniquely shaped headstock and a prominent name or identifier on it was to tell people who built the instrument.
It's a mark of pride in making a fine instrument. An artisan signing his work.
But it's also a marketing tool. So that a listener/viewer of a performance can easily see who made it. If they like what they see and hear, they will know how to find out where to get one like it. For instance, if they see a video on YouTube, and really like the sound of the instrument being played, they can search out more samples or find out how to get one.
It also gets your brand out to the public. The more it's seen, the more it is remembered. (Usually take 5 or more exposures to a logo before it begins to register.)

Just thought you'd enjoy a little info about a couple of the thoughts behind the design aspects of branding. And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. So that's the last I will say about marketing.

—And I agree it is a conversation starter. It's gorgeous and quite unique.

The art deco design of the headstock will itself become an identifier for your brand. If it's used consistently. By that I don't mean the color or shape of the inset, but the overall shape and "look" of it. For instance, the "pineapple" or "crown" shape of headstock on a KoAloha instantly tells you that it is one of their instruments. You don't even have to see their logo or look at the label.

After functionality, the reasoning behind builders having a uniquely shaped headstock and a prominent name or identifier on it was to tell people who built the instrument.
It's a mark of pride in making a fine instrument. An artisan signing his work.
But it's also a marketing tool. So that a listener/viewer of a performance can easily see who made it. If they like what they see and hear, they will know how to find out where to get one like it. For instance, if they see a video on YouTube, and really like the sound of the instrument being played, they can search out more samples or find out how to get one.
It also gets your brand out to the public. The more it's seen, the more it is remembered. (Usually take 5 or more exposures to a logo before it begins to register.)

Just thought you'd enjoy a little info about a couple of the thoughts behind the design aspects of branding. And I didn't mean to hijack your thread. So that's the last I will say about marketing.

—And I agree it is a conversation starter. It's gorgeous and quite unique.

See, I told you it’s a conversation starter. You know your stuff re marketing. I know you do because I lectured in that subject in the local Art, Design and Media College. I started media studies back in 1973 but also had experience in advertising agencies when I lived n NYC.

I’m really enjoying watching this build, thanks for posting so many pix!

Top Bottom