Concert neck for a Duke10?

captain-janeway

Reaction score
For those of you that build, how hard would it be to really make a new neck for one of these in concert size?

What would be a realistic price to have someone make one? I'm usually pretty handy, but I don't have the equipment for this.

Thanks

http://www.dukeuke.com/

Looks like maybe I can glue up a long piece of wood to the bottom of the neck (look at the Duke picture in above link), sand everything down, do a little carving to get the curve near the drum and screw in where the existing one is and tada?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VD8ZLO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A13T3OI499R0PP&psc=1

Not easy but certainly doable, the biggest issue will be sanding/shaping the neck to fit a 10-inch radius body. Plus to make it just a tad more difficult the angle is a compound one, inasmuch as it does not join the body at 90° but at around 87.5° to allow for the break angle banjo uke's employ. So tricky, but worth a try. Best of luck.

Not easy but certainly doable, the biggest issue will be sanding/shaping the neck to fit a 10-inch radius body. Plus to make it just a tad more difficult the angle is a compound one, inasmuch as it does not join the body at 90° but at around 87.5° to allow for the break angle banjo uke's employ. So tricky, but worth a try. Best of luck.

By shaping are you talking about the curve that butts up against the drum? I think I can take a tracing to help take that out and some really good woodworking gouges to take it out.
The hard part would be dovetailing the wood bar across the drum.
It might be easier to buy a Remo drumhead and try that setup.
The Duke has what looks like maybe a hanger screw holding neck that looks tricky lining it up with neck.

Maybe Duke could sell you one?

I asked. They said they can't. Bummer.
Bought a GoldTone Little Gem (yes, a completely different beast) because it was concert neck, but it just sounded a little off to me. Maybe just my ears. I'd love to hear a Firefly that's been set up properly. Tried one in a shop that had a really nasty buzz in it. The person I was with was hearing it too, so I know it's not me. Of course like the Deering sound, but it's like having a small child sit in your lap.
Oh well, the search continues. I'm going to hold onto it awhile to see if my hands stretch, but I'll likely sell it.

Top Bottom