TV Theme Music - what’s the best ever?

The best ever TV theme music can be heard on The Normal Bates Memorial Soundtrack Show with Robert Emmett, Saturday mornings on KFJC in Los Altos Hills, (CA) from 9 to noon.89.7 on the FM dial, and streaming on KFJC.org.

Hands down favorite is the theme for The Green Hornet by Al Hirt.

Vikings

Harry’s Game

Red Dwarf

The Theme Song from the show
St. Elsewhere.

Possibly the best series finale as well
The show always opened with an outside view of the hospital
One of the characters was the head doctor who had an autistic son

The show ended with that same doctor being a factory worker.
His son was staring at a snow globe containing the same building and his father stating that his son spent hours staring at the globe, thinking and imagining things.

In the US, Rob Reiner is a consummate wizard of TV themes. I worked on "Stand By Me" that he directed in northern California and most every night the crew would jam in the bar of the hotel with various instruments. I played my harmonica. Rob would often attend and lead the group in a variety of theme songs.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Star Trek Voyager. In addition to being a lovely piece of music, it's accompanied by an opening sequence that is visually breathtaking.

Last edited:
The Theme Song from the show
St. Elsewhere.

Possibly the best series finale as well
The show always opened with an outside view of the hospital
One of the characters was the head doctor who had an autistic son

The show ended with that same doctor being a factory worker.
His son was staring at a snow globe containing the same building and his father stating that his son spent hours staring at the globe, thinking and imagining things.

I had to post the opening sequence here. Check out all the people who worked on this show before they became famous.

Realistically there is only one well known TV show filmed in Hawaii. All serious ukulele players who like to talk about Hawaii should really know the tune. The show is Hawaii 5-0, with Steve and Danno. There is not much point in the Hawaiian shirt and the fresh coconut juice and the Koa uke if you don't know the tune and you can't say "book him Danno murder one".

attachment.php

Realistically there is only one well known TV show filmed in Hawaii. All serious ukulele players who like to talk about Hawaii should really know the tune. The show is Hawaii 5-0, with Steve and Danno. There is not much point in the Hawaiian shirt and the fresh coconut juice and the Koa uke if you don't know the tune and you can't say "book him Danno murder one".

Magnum P.I. ?

Star Trek Voyager. In addition to being a lovely piece of music, it's accompanied by an opening sequence that is visually breathtaking.
Agreed. And I always enjoyed the opening of Deep Space Nine. While it wasn't nearly as visually pleasing as the Voyager opening, the brass ensemble had an edge to it, just like the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TsMyLt2BTM

Yes , Peter Gunn ! Thats the first TV theme I can remember . That was probably the start of cool TV theme songs.
That was one of the first things I played on guitar.

The Star Trek Voyager opening and Mary Tyler Moore. Her's makes me smile, and the other makes me want to conduct an orchestra (plus I love Captain Janeway)!

Psyche theme song!

Top Bottom