TV Theme Music - what’s the best ever?

S11LKO

Reaction score
I’m in the U.K. and I love TV theme tunes which, in general, I feel are very underrated. I have so many collected and stored on CD and in iTunes. (I have a pretty large music collection of all genres collected over the last 60 years - somewhere in the region of 1,700 albums and many more singles, cassettes and mp3’s. My family think I’m bonkers! lol)

What is YOUR fave TV theme tune and why?

I’ll love looking up the ones you mention I’ve never heard of.

Thanks.

Jonny Quest!! It really captures the excitement and adventure of the show.

Last edited:
I have to admit Mike, in my ignorance I'd never heard of the series, but I love the music, thanks for responding.
I must catch the show now! lol

I have to admit Mike, in my ignorance I'd never heard of the series, but I love the music, thanks for responding.
I must catch the show now! lol

The show only lasted one year 1964-1965 for a total of 26 episodes. (Maybe only in the USA?) As a young boy at the time, the show really piqued a sense of wonder, excitement and adventure in me. Jonny Quest was a boy whose father was a scientist and he didn't attend school like a normal child would but instead he got to travel all over the world and found himself in a lot of great adventures. The show was really well done and I think it's still a lot of fun to watch. I think they tried to bring him back many years later after the original but it just wasn't the same. I don't know why the original only got one year. I think its quality deserved a longer run.

I love TV theme songs too. I don't have a favorite, but these are theme songs I really like: Cheers-Where Everybody Knows Your Name, M*A*S*H-Suicide is Painless, Mickey Mouse Club March, Secret Agent Man, Gilligan's Island, Game of Thrones intro and the Big Bang Theory.

This is the theme song from The Medic - Blue Star, from 1955. I'd bet that nobody else would pick this song!

Found it while viewing videos of Japanese surf bands; it's also been recorded by the Shadows & Ventures.

https://youtu.be/2rF3hX30nbY

Some great suggestions there people. I've had fun listening to them - some of which I'd never previously heard of here in the UK.

In my original post I neglected to mention MINE lol.

Two of my favourites are the classic theme from 'Thunderbirds':

and a British adventure series from the 70's/80's called 'The Professionals':

Last edited:
My faves are , from 1963 to : Z Cars, Dr Who, Thunderbirds, Iron Horse,Ivanhoe , Captain Scarlet, Pink Panther (Tele show), Captain Pugwash (Trumpet hornpipe) Blue Peter (sort of Sailor's Hornpipe) Alias Smith and Jones, Black Beauty, Old Ned (Steptoe and Son) and then it all goes a bit nothingy from the late 70s onward .The selection are from pre teen to late teen years, perhaps I stopped watching so much tele later on LOL I used to seek out albums like Geoff Love plays TV Themes and get extended versions of the tunes. Also film Theme tunes. But that's another subject LOL.

The Prisoner opening titles, music written by Ron Grainer :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE-EMinj69o

Ron Grainer was commissioned and was paid to write the Doctor Who theme but he merely wrote a note giving a 'mood' outline to Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, went away and collected the finished work a couple of weeks later. First episode opening titles November 1963 :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrYaLHJEZwk

Last edited:
The theme to "Family Guy". Claire and I always sing along. It's one of the most challenging tunes to strum on the ukulele too, and will be deeply satisfying if I can ever nail it so well that I can strum along whenever it comes on the telly.

The theme to "Family Guy". Claire and I always sing along. It's one of the most challenging tunes to strum on the ukulele too, and will be deeply satisfying if I can ever nail it so well that I can strum along whenever it comes on the telly.

Tee hee! I love Family Guy. Even as a 62 year old it makes me chuckle like a naughty schoolboy having said a rude word!! lol

For me the best TV theme music was from the ITV children’s tv series ‘The Tomorrow People’ from the 1970s. It still makes the hair on the nape of my neck stand up.

Top Bottom