Comfort edge to add to my uke

jnorris235

Reaction score
I’m not changing my wonderful Pono tenor, and I could wear a headband on my arm - but does anyone make a stick on comfort edge, and would it harm the sound?

You would have to get someone to make one- they would need the instrument to get the exact shape.

You could make a stick on version.

No harm to sound if its stuck on the very top edge (the first, say, 1/4" from the perimeter doesn't really vibrate anyway as its over the side and linings).

I’ve read the threads and googled but I havent found anywhere that offers them for sale. I wondered if there is some obvious kitchen edging or rubber thing that I could glue round the top curve. Some DIY method? It is an expensive uke so something really good looking would be best. I cant bend wood myself. Hoping a UK luthier might have an idea.

Strings bymail.com had a few plastic bevels in their accessories. They were for classical guitar widths. The samllest being 3 1/2" depth.

I use a cut off sock to protect a new French Polish parlor guitar i have. It works great as an armband and could always pad it if needed.
Wear the armband or change your form so the arm isn't resting on the bout. If it has to be custom made, it may cost as much as another with the bevel.

A bevel is not necessarily going to be more comfortable. If it's at the wrong angle to the players fore arm; it rests on the edge of the bevel or the person has to change the angle of the instrument accordingly . I play sitting down with the instrument at an angle. I've found the angle of the bevel makes a difference for me.

Sounds like you really like your uke. Are you sure you want to experiment with DIY techniques? I wonder if an altered violin chin rest would work?

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that armrests, like the Pearse type below, aren't made for ukes. They lift your arm off the top, providing more sound. I like them on acoustic guitars, and even with the much smaller size of ukes, when I strike a chord and lift my arm off the top, I can can hear an appreciable increase in volume, so I assume a smaller model would work on ukes.

http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

Top Bottom