What's the difference between the two "Yamaha THR-5"?

Jo3x

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently considering purchasing an amp. I am totally a newbie in this area. I read some old threads and decided to take a deeper look into "Yamaha THR-5".

However, I'm now get quite confused. From the Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-THR5-10-Watt-Desktop-Guitar/dp/B009NNZOEW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535611322&sr=8-3&keywords=yamaha%2Bthr5&th=1, If I select "Desktop Amplifier" + "Acoustic", it's this item: "Yamaha THR5 Mini Acoustic Guitar Amplifier with Cubase AI Production Software", if I select "Desktop Amplifier" + "Mini THR", it's this item: "Yamaha THR5 10-Watt Desktop Guitar Combo Amp". I am not able to understand what are the differences between the two. Googling also doesn't help.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jo

The difference would appear to be two different packages from two different retailers, one includes the Cubase software, the other makes no mention of it ... but do read further down the page "THR5A is optimized for use with electric-acoustic and Silent Guitars."

Last edited:
The THR5A has a single clean electric guitar channel and a few different acoustic channels designed to simulate different types of mic set up in front of the instrument. It is the one to buy if you are an acoustic player.

The THR5 has a few different electric guitar channels. It will work fine with acoustic instruments but is not designed for them.

I have the THR5A as my acoustic amp and am very happy with it. I have other dedicated electric guitar amps.

HTH

Yamaha came out with the THR10 which was for electric guitar and had 10 watts. Then came out with the THR5 which was still for electric guitar but with 5 watts.

They then came out with the THR5A the A stands for acoustic and that is the one you want. All the different modelling modes are designed to emulate microphone used for acoustic guitars, works great for ukuleles. I have the THR5A and really enjoy it.

Thank you all! Then, I get that the "Yamaha THR5 Mini Acoustic Guitar Amplifier with Cubase AI Production Software" is the "THR5A", and it's what I need for my uke.

Top Bottom