Old(er) newbie from WV

tonyturley

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the ukulele world, but I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years. I decided I wanted a uke after seeing players like Aldrine Guerrero and Andrew Hardel doing magical things with their instruments. (I'm just starting to learn Aldrine's incredible arrangement of "Amazing Grace"). Although I play guitar in church nearly every week, no one would ever describe me as an amazing player. I'm competent, and have a good sense of timing and rhythm. Capoing my guitar at fret 5 has been one of my favorite voicings, so the uke tuning is not new to me, and my thought is learning the nuances of playing a uke will help me in playing my full size guitar.

I began the build on my Stew Mac tenor uke kit yesterday. I'm just going to take my time and enjoy the process. At the same time, I'm putting the finishing touches on a project I started over 10 years ago. It's a rebuild of an old Kay archtop guitar. The top was badly water damaged, so I stripped it down to just the back and sides, and hand carved a new top from Sitka Spruce. The neck is a 5 layer lamination of Walnut and Maple. I got side-tracked and let it sit for long periods of time, but once I attach the fretboard and apply the final finish, it will be ready for strings. I skimmed through your old archtop uke thread, and I'm already thinking of building one next Spring. I'm thinking Western Red Cedar and Koa. One thing at a time, though. In the meantime, I'm keeping myself very busy with music, woodworking, pyrography, and the occasional jaunt through the woods on my fat bike.

Tony

Welcome to the forums, Tony!! Enjoy the build!

Welcome to the forums. Nice to see another Mountaineer on here.

I'm in Walker about 20 minutes from Parkersburg.

Last edited:
I haven't thought about pyrography in years! I bet that's also a fun hobby.

I haven't thought about pyrography in years! I bet that's also a fun hobby.
Oh yes, I enjoy it quite a bit. I'm going to decorate the tenor uke I'm currently building with some subtle pyrographic art.

Top Bottom