Fingerpicking beyond beginner

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have only been playing baritone ukulele since Sep 17, however, I am already bored with learning fingerpicking patterns from u tube. I want some more advanced and better sounding licks.

Can anyone recommend a book for fingerstyle that teaches complete styles of fingerpicking? Carter styles, Travis picking, and others for all types of music Something more than basic.

Thank you johnnysmash

Maybe you want to look into chord solos(?), or fingerstyle playing. :)

I have Mike Lynchs books 1 - 3 of chord melody's. I reallly like chord melodies. Since I know basic chords well I can play a single note melody on string one and two and with little effort fill in the chord below. Just about the same as I do on piano with the right hand. Embellishments or licks I need to study/learn for chord melodies.

Fingerstyle I am trying to learn but I only have a few songs I downloaded for study. I am trying to get my thumb on automatic pilot while playing melody above on top strings. Then I assume I will need to fill in some chord tones here and there. Maybe I need a good book on that one too.

I also like fingerpicking patterns for accompaniment since I do not really care for strumming all the time. I am sure there is more to it than the carrots they dangle on u tube. That is what I am looking for now. I do like some strumming. Triplets is nice but I am still rought at it.

I welcome all advice and direction I can get. Thank you johnnysmash

James Hill, "Duets for One" might be just what you're looking for. Some pretty challenging arrangements featuring melody and accompaniment played together, similar to guitar "Travis Picking" technique.

I have only been playing baritone ukulele since Sep 17, however, I am already bored with learning fingerpicking patterns from u tube. I want some more advanced and better sounding licks.

Can anyone recommend a book for fingerstyle that teaches complete styles of fingerpicking? Carter styles, Travis picking, and others for all types of music Something more than basic.

Thank you johnnysmash

You've got to remember that "Carter-style" and "Travis picking" were developed for and with a six-string guitar. Trying to emulate those styles of playing on a four-string instrument can only ever be a compromise. If you can't (understandably?) commit yourself to a full-size guitar, perhaps a guilele or guitalele could be a reasonable compromise?

Good luck :music:

aaron keim (the quiet american) has some excellent videos and ebooks on fingerstyle including carter snd travis. also james hill’s course is excellent for chord melody style

Top Bottom