James Hill "The Ukulele Way" Online Course - Any Opinions?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't be asking this on Ukulele Underground but has anyone signed up for James Hill's "The Ukulele Way" online courses and have any opinions/recommendations? I've been pretty impressed with some of the sample lessons he's posted and his style seems to be in the direction I'd like to go. It's a fairly modest monthly fee, so it's not a big financial factor, but I'd like to make sure that there are no hidden surprises or disappointments. I'd probably call myself an intermediate player with a decent knowledge of chords, picking styles, and ability to play arrangements, but I don't know much music theory or have the ability to improvise or arrange my own pieces. Is this a good place to move up a few steps? I'm pretty much exclusively an instrumental solo player and not interested in strumming chords to accompany my atrocious singing voice.

I thought it was excellent. I drifted off into other instruments and did not spend as much time on it as I should have but it is a great program. I’ve been playing mostly mandolin and a bit of guitar lately but I still use some of the chord melody fundamentals that I learned from that course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who wants to play in a more fingerstyle

Do a quick search in here. There was a thread about this about 6 months ago
I like it

I know this thread is old, but possibly others will find this info useful:

* as others have said, it’s more of a music course than “just learn to play the ukulele”. His lessons encourage being able to read music notation (although tabs are available for most of the stuff), and “challenges” to adapt things or figure out other chords to use in places.

* if you’re beyond beginner, you’ll be able to go through some of the lessons very quickly. Since the site is a monthly cost, this actually makes it a better deal for you. As a raw beginner, I have to sond more time practicing things like chords and so will end up paying for the website longer.

* the recent change to use SoundSlice (I think that’s what it’s called) makes it easy to practice with the website.

For others, if you’re intersted in strumming along to accompany yourself or others, I don’t think you would be happy with these courses (but you could always try it for just one month, and you wouldn’t be out too much money.)

Top Bottom