Paso Doble - Ukulele Solo

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score

Here is a Paso Doble arranged for solo ukulele. When I uploaded this to YouTube I got 3 thumbs down within a couple of days!!! Am I missing something with this recording?
Paso Doble is Spanish a dance that emulates the movements of a bullfight. Essentially, the Paso Doble dance involves role-playing. This two-person dance form has the man performing as the bullfighter and the woman as the cape.
Arranged for ukulele and played on a Kanile'a Tenor T-1 K E fitted with low G tuning. I hope you all enjoy,
Mike

Beautiful and skillful playing! Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful and skillful playing! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much Mkel, I appreciate your comments!

Two thumbs down!? I can’t understand this. It sounded great to me. I can totally see the whole matador role play going on here.
Thank you Joseph, I am one of those people who is very much against bullfighting! but you can't shy away from history and the Spanish way of life was very closely intertwined with bullfighting!

It sounds absolutely amazing from here Mike, bravo! :D I'll give you 5 Stars that should help to counteract those thumbs downers at YouTube :D
Haha, Thank you for 5 stars Campbell, They more than make up for any thumbs down!

Love it! Is all Spanish guitar music flamenco, or are there other sub genres? I feel quite ignorant about it and you have exposed me to some great music on here lately.
Thank you Laurence, Flamenco is a subgenre of spanish music. Flamenco is their gypsy folk music! Spanish guitar music is one of the golden vessels of guitar music in the world. It is the jewel in the crown for nylon strung guitar and also incorporates the birth of many latin styles.........In other words it just wonderful music that sounds great!

Any chance we can get the tab ?
Ron
I will attach a link in the YouTube description today Ron. I hope you will enjoy playing the piece!

Wow !! Beautiful job !! Double thumbs up !!
Thank you very much Bill!

There being some thumbs down is something I find very hard to understand, other than error what possible reasons could anyone have for doing that? I looked at Mike’s YouTube collection for the original and everything there that I listened to was just totally excellent, such skill and such wonderful demonstrations of what members of the Guitar family (which IMHO includes Ukes) can do.

Well played. I am not sure why there are thumbs down. If you want to work on it an improve it this is just a suggestion.
The Paso Doble is a famous dance. People who look for it are looking for a dance or music to do the dance to. They are not looking for a ukulele solo.
So my suggestion is to study the Paso Doble dance and work out the arrangement so it can be used by dancers. What are the dancers listening for? What are the parts of the dance and how do they use the music to guide them through the dance routines and importantly, what is the dance and its various parts about. Instead of seeing a sheet of notes, watch the dancers and be the heartbeat and atmosphere of the dance routine.
There are also two dancers, so how do you work out the two parts in the music so a listener can pick the lady's part and the man's part?
If you make an arrangement which motivates dancers to start dancing, perhaps this is an indicator of success?

Thank you Bill1, I appreciate the time and thought you have put into your reply. The piece of music was written by a guitar player called Gerardo Nunez. He named the tune Paso Doble. I arranged it and played it on the ukulele!

There being some thumbs down is something I find very hard to understand, other than error what possible reasons could anyone have for doing that? I looked at Mike’s YouTube collection for the original and everything there that I listened to was just totally excellent, such skill and such wonderful demonstrations of what members of the Guitar family (which IMHO includes Ukes) can do.

Thank Graham for your very kind words. As you can probably tell I am enjoying arranging and playing for the ukulele!
Mike

Mike, you got surprised you got three thumbs down on YouTube?
I've had hundreds about nearly everything I do and post so I must be better than you! lol

Mike, seriously, as always there is nothing to 'thumbs down' on ANY of the stuff you have produced as far as I can see.

Your playing and presentation is first class and I for one just look on in envy. I can only assume the 'thumbs downers' didn't like the particular style, genre or tune of this piece - and that's of course down to personal taste, we all have our likes and dislikes - but there's no way anyone could honestly dislike your playing skill OR the sound/picture quality of your video(s).

Ignore them my friend. I have to do so all the time with some of the rubbish *I* produce and post!!! lolol

Thumb down Mike ... I finally have wifi to watch your video
This is quite a unique tune.
It’s amazing how you can make a four strings sound like anything you want.
I got a thumb Down too so I know how you feel!
It has got to be from some sour grapes !
Thumb up from Canada.

Mike, you got surprised you got three thumbs down on YouTube?
I've had hundreds about nearly everything I do and post so I must be better than you! lol

Mike, seriously, as always there is nothing to 'thumbs down' on ANY of the stuff you have produced as far as I can see.

Your playing and presentation is first class and I for one just look on in envy. I can only assume the 'thumbs downers' didn't like the particular style, genre or tune of this piece - and that's of course down to personal taste, we all have our likes and dislikes - but there's no way anyone could honestly dislike your playing skill OR the sound/picture quality of your video(s).

Ignore them my friend. I have to do so all the time with some of the rubbish *I* produce and post!!! lolol
Thank you Brenda and Dave. I am beginning to wear my thumbs down as a badge of honour!;)

Wonderful, Mike! I love seeing all kinds of genres covered by the uke, and this is no exception.

Regarding the haters on YouTube, they're just jealous people, so take it as a compliment, or just ignore 'em.

Top Bottom