Mya-moe ukes since the transition to new owner/builder?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just curious about Mya-moe ukes since the transition to new owner/builder, Cary Kelly. From the website the latest ones look just as great as those built by Gordan, Char, and Aaron.

Anybody own one, play one, or have one on order?

I’ve been contemplating a new Mya-moe baritone with a sycamore body, POC top and maple fretboard. I really enjoy the spruce/rosewood Myamoe baritone I have. The current build schedule is full until January 2019.

Curious as well. I wish Cary all the best. I recall a video after Cary did his first batch of tenors and Gordon tried to convince him to serialize as Mya Moe instruments and he wouldn't do it. If they met Gordon's approval that says a lot, but it would be good to hear from others who have taken the plunge.

For my part, these are outside my current comfort zone as far as how much I'm willing to pay for a uke or guitar, but I do appreciate the craftsmanship.

I have an as-yet-to-be-configured tenor on order; its scheduled start date is coming up in about eleven weeks (November 19th). I plan on picking out the wood when I visit Cary in three weeks.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen they look pretty good. I’m glad to hear that he has an advanced build schedule. Probably won’t be too long before you’ll have to wait 12-18 months.

From what I’ve seen they look pretty good. I’m glad to hear that he has an advanced build schedule. Probably won’t be too long before you’ll have to wait 12-18 months.

Hey Hollis if Kathryn has a start date of Novemeber 2019 that is already 14 month wait. Just saying.............not that I dont think you can add or anything.;)

No, November 19, 2018. I will clarify. :)

Sure Kathryn set me up so I insulted Hollis:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: I thought we were friends.

Sorry Hollis old buddy. I could delete my post above but then none of this would make sense, jokes on me.

Sure Kathryn set me up so I insulted Hollis:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: I thought we were friends.

Sorry Hollis old buddy. I could delete my post above but then none of this would make sense, jokes on me.

No worries mate! Actually I do have problems reading a date the way you cockamamy North Americans write them. What's the matter with Day/Month/Year???? And by God you still use imperial measurements! Those who find it easier to divide by 10 pity you. LoL

I think we should all use yyyy-mm-dd. :D

I very much look forward to receiving my tenor shortly after its projected completion date of 2018-12-10.

Cary was at our City of Lights Ukulele Festival in Aurora, IL last Sunday. Several people were trying out his wares in his tent. I've owned a couple of Mya-Moes in the past and I believe his new ones are at the same quality level. Everyone that tried out his instruments, seemed pleased.
Cary told me that he has not started building resonators yet but that Gordon was going to come out soon to help him get that line going too.
Cary seems as easy to get along with and as quality minded as Gordon and Char.

Apparently not. I just looked up on Wikipedia and seems to be just a plot device, almost random. No wonder it never made sense. :p

In ‘66-‘67 I worked in an Ad agency in NYC as a media buyer. I was one of the first to sponsor the original Star Trek series. My bosses thought that I was crazy but every time a Neilson rating came out I always made my targets for audience numbers.

That sure is purty

If that's the one Cary had in Aurora -- or if it's a close cousin from the same wood -- it's even purty-er in person :) I played all four of the ukes he brought to the City of Lights festival and each sounded magnificent and played like a dream. Dare I say it: I was even more impressed with the sound and playability of those new ukes than I was with the couple of Mya-Moes I have played in the past. YMMV of course, but I can't see how any Mya-Moe fan could be disappointed with the new builds.

Those who find it easier to divide by 10 pity you. LoL

Since when is life about making things easier? I can look at something and distinguish 1/2" from 7/16", and 1/4" from 3/8". It's good exercise for the brain. Humans don't agree on anything, unfortunately. I agree that the entire world should be using metric. It's extremely frustrating for me to have to do mental math when TV shows and online articles use metric. Working on a car is even worse, with a mixture of metric and SAE nuts and bolts. We have to buy all tools in both formats. Do you think the tool-makers don't like that? :D

As for dates, it can be seriously misleading when reading/writing. For example, look at 1/12/2018. Is that January 12 or December 1? It depends. When using a computer for data, yyyy-mm-dd works very well.

If that's the one Cary had in Aurora -- or if it's a close cousin from the same wood -- it's even purty-er in person :) I played all four of the ukes he brought to the City of Lights festival and each sounded magnificent and played like a dream. Dare I say it: I was even more impressed with the sound and playability of those new ukes than I was with the couple of Mya-Moes I have played in the past. YMMV of course, but I can't see how any Mya-Moe fan could be disappointed with the new builds.

Mya-Moe ukes continuously improved their instruments, from my observations. Glad to hear the knowledge gained has been successfully transferred to Cary. Thanks for the report.

Top Bottom