Season 342 - Everybody’s On Top Of The Pops

1964. The Fourmost recorded one of Lennon-McCartney's early collaborations.

as john mentioned, top of the pop "performances" were often mimed, and one time it all went horribly wrong for all about eve, who couldn't hear when the audio playback started, and sadly just sat there like beautiful folky lemons while the song began to play. and it was a very beautiful song - "martha's harbour"

This is ""Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)" by Squeeze, played on Top of the Pops in 1981. I'm working on something that I don't know if I'll get done this week, so here's something in the meantime out of the 25 possibles I jotted down off the Wikipedia page.

I'd been messing around with this for a day or two when Randy posted his excellent version. At first I wasn't sure but then I decided that you can never have enough cheese...

Like many of the other songs featured on TOTP, this one was inescapable.

This might be my last one until October (I'm going to try and squeeze in one more this Season). We leave early next week for an extended vacation and will be a few weeks without any phone or internet.

Last edited:
an original song for the season
from Kev and myself.
thanks again, John.

Wow. 90 songs and counting on the playlist. Brilliant effort friends, and we’re nearly in the home stretch now. Keep on keeping on :rock:

The Spencer Davis group visited Finland and they were amazed a some of the songs
being sung, but more importantly the novel percussive elements to the performances
by the famous Finnish trio Jätkat. They had never seen knee length boots filled with
warm porridge so that when the one string bass player stomped down they boots gave
this squelchy augmentation, or the fact that a carrot grater could be used to get a unique
rasping sound. Keep on running was purloined by Stevie Winwood an became a hit in 1965.
Here I try to produce the original finnish recording which is not quite authentic since I use
tapioca pudding in the boots instead of porridge.

There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)

My second and last submission for this great season 'There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart) by Eurythmics as featured on TOTP in 1985. Note Annie Lennox's hilarious harmonica miming.

I have used my Electric steel string Risa LP for this song and the drum part is my first ever go on a Cajonito box drum. If you haven't heard of a Cajon or Cajonito (the smaller brother) then check them out. Great little instrument. Hope you like my version of this iconic 80's hit.

I first heard this song in the found-footage video Girls on Film (by the people who brought you Heavy Metal Parking Lot) and was so taken with the song that my boyfriend found a copy of the vinyl for me. I still have the vinyl... and the boyfriend!

Tomorrow is my 99th video! I’m not going to get 100 subscribers by the end date, but I would love for you to join me as I make my deadline. Please subscribe to my new YouTube channel.

And the moral of this is that you don't attempt to sing a rather fast song when you're losing your voice. I didn't want to let my wonderful dancers down, though! Thanks so much for the week, John.

In 1998, German pop duo Modern Talking performed "You're My Heart, You're My Soul '98" in TOTP. The first version of their hit song was released already 14 years before, and it was a mandatory soundtrack of our "school discos" in 1980s. Here is my revenge for those cringeworthy moments:

With my next song, I'll go back to the very beginnings of Top of the Pops: in 1964, even the Beatles were guests.
They played and sang Can't buy me Love

I do too but no way in he'll would she sing that with me

Hi from Denver!

Tiffany isn't really keen on singing a song where she gets killed, but she got to kill me when we did Henry Lee, so fair's fair...

I had two possibilities partly mapped out but life got in the way so I've had to put them on ice for the time being. Meantime, I had to get something in this week. ToTP was such an institution here in its day. When I was at University we used to gather in the TV room for it. I remember on one occasion everyone was in stitches watching a heavily pregnant Marianne Faithfull sing As Tears Go By. The lyrics just seemed so appropriate.

Enough of such frivolity. I remembered I'd got this song from 1964 in my song folder. Written by Rod Argent and recorded by the Zombies, his band at the time. Photos taken on the North Coast of Ireland when we were there for a friend's wedding in Belfast.

With so many amazing performers and songs to choose from, I narrowed it down using www.random.org to choose a year. I got 1997, which is the year of the biggest pop hit by an anarchist collective in music history!

¡No pasarán!

As a general rule, I am opposed to Manfred Mann because of their execrable cover of "Blinded By the Light," but I kind of like this song. First recorded in 1963 by the Exciters as "Do-Wah-Diddy," then by Manfred Mann in 1964 as "Do Wah Diddy Diddy." The Exciters didn't have a hit with it. Manfred Mann did, which may be evidence that there is no true justice in this universe.

Top Bottom