Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New and unusual Guilele models from Romero Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    They are for 17". There is an E set for the 20" Mini but they aren't reds:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordob...set-15514.html
    Yea I ordered the 153C in the guilele section. They are reds and they are for 17" scale length, we shall see what happens.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Hello! Now that youíve had it for a ew weeks, whatís your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I canít remember if itís your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

Quote Originally Posted by SA Condor View Post
    Hello! Now that you’ve had it for a ew weeks, what’s your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I can’t remember if it’s your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!
    Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele?

Guileles.jpg
    Last edited by Rakelele; 11-03-2018 at 01:50 AM.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Wonderful picture for visual comparison and I greatly appreciate your thoughts! That’s very very helpful to me, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele?

Guileles.jpg

Nice! It interesting how pictures can be deceptive. Looking st the TT6, I'd swear it has the widest neck of all of them. I guess the squat body is playing tricks on me.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars: