New and unusual Guilele models from Romero Creations

My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

What I think has turned out really great is the playability of the neck. With a nut width of 48mm and a slight radius to the fretboard, it
makes playing much easier for me than a flat and wide fretboard like the Opio or the Islander. Not too much of a radius, but not entirely flat, not as wide as classical guitar, but not as narrow as on some acoustic guitars, I think this will hit the spot for a lot of people.

It comes with a sturdy hardshell case that fits like a glove. Despite the uke having a tenor scale length, the case has about the length of a concert case. My only criticism would be that the case is kind of bulky. Part of the fun of having such a small instrument is its portability, so the case should be reduced to a minimum as well. I think they could take away about 20 mm off the top of the case and make it a bit more triangle shaped, following the outer lines of the instrument more closely, and it would still offer enough protection for the instrument.

I'd guess that Pepe's custom instruments sound fuller still, but the Romero Creations model is built absolutely flawless (perhaps even cleaner looking than Pepe's own). I am very curious now about the Baritone Guilele model, and would love to hear the thoughts of others how got one of these instruments. How do you like it?

Congrats, Rainer! I know you were super excited about that one so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Somebody please buy this phenomenal sounding Pepe custom guitalele and save me from myself:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-top-rosewood-tiny-tenor-guilele-1.html

I agree with Eddie, a big congratulations Rainer and thank you for a well done and thoughtful review.

Eddie I had immediately sent the listing and video to Brenda when it was first seen. I tried really hard to get her to bite, but no luck

dang, I was afraid of that. :p
I sent off an email off the RC website to see if I could "request" a mango TT6. We'll see what happens. :nana:

I received my Romero Creations baritone guilele about 5 days ago and I like it, a lot!!!. This is very well made, the finish is a just a little bit on the thick side but that is comparing it to hand build custom tenors costing 3X the price. The spruce top is of the highest quality with tight straight grain and lots of cross silking. The mahogany back is also of very high quality with beautiful grain and a 3D shimmer, and very resonant when tapped. Black binding, can't tell if it is ebony or plastic with well done B/W/B purfing on the top. Abalone rosette, ebony fingerboard, string through bridge and headstock overlay. Six Gotoh UPT tuners do a superb job as usual and look great.

When you pick it up and hold it the balance is very good and it really feels like a high quality instrument. As Rainer said in his review of the TT6 the playability is excellent. The 48mm wide nut and radius fretboard are very comfortable to me, the fret work is excellent. The overall size is just about identical to my Mya Moe baritone. This instrument has a 20" scale length (I was hoping for something longer, more on that later). Over all length is 29-1/2", lower bout width 11" body depth at tail end 3-1/8". It comes with a semi ridgid heavily padded gig bag which should make traveling with it a breeze.

Before talking sound quality a few caveats. I have just really ventured into 6 string territory in past six months, got me some guitars including a Cordoba C10 crossover. I thought I had heard this instrument had a scale length longer than 20", more like 22". This coupled with the nut width 1-7/8 and radiused fretboard spurred me to tell Andrew at HMS I wanted one. You see I really wanted this tuned like a guitar E - E and Andrew said he had strings in stock by Pepe for this instrument tuned E - E. When I received it I measured the scale length and it was 20" this leaves the tension on the low side, especially the wound E and A strings, I was dissappointed. But the more I played it the more I liked it. This has a very sweet and lyrical sound, quite musical. I play with a light touch naturally so I am not over driving those two wound strings. I am really enjoying this and very glad I bought it. I'll be doing some string experimenting to try larger diameter higher tension strings, got three different sets on order, including Aquila Red guilele E-E set.

20181019_074013.jpg20181019_074136.jpg20181022_063350.jpg1540380971564114865613.jpg20181019_155702.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.

Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.

Well........I am not sure they are for baritone scale but I will give them a try anyways. If their tension is high enough to tune a 17" scale to E-E they should be even tighter on a 20" scale. Fortunately this is a string through bridge so plenty strong. I will measure the diameters first and bring them up to pitch slowly but they shouldn't pose an issue.

To answer your actual question I bought them at Strings by Mail. Not sure if they are for 17" or 20" really, we will find out. Edit.......they are for 17" scale length.

Last edited:
Hello! Now that you’ve had it for a ew weeks, what’s your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I can’t remember if it’s your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!

Thanks!

My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

Hello! Now that you’ve had it for a ew weeks, what’s your impression now? Could you do us a favor and photograph your TT6 with the KoAloha and Islander? That would be a great help visually. Also, I can’t remember if it’s your that has the Lichty Bard Guitar, but if it is you, could you please add that to the photo for comparison sake?!

Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele? :D

Guileles.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful picture for visual comparison and I greatly appreciate your thoughts! That’s very very helpful to me, thank you :)

Here is a quick snapshot of my four Guilele or Guitalele/Guitarlele type instruments. Sorry for the late answer and the bad picture, but it will give you an idea of the differences in size:

1. Baby Bard from Jay Lichty: 19" scale, radius fretboard, 47.5mm nut, solid Spruce and Myrtle, mirror flat high gloss finish

2. Kanile'a Islander GL6: 20" scale, flat fretboard, 50 mm nut, laminate Acacia, satin finish

3. KoAloha Opio D-VI / G6: 17" scale, flat fretboard, 51mm nut, solid Acacia, semi gloss finish with some open pores

4. Pepe Romero Creations TT6: 17" scale, radius fretboard, 48mm nut, solid Spruce and Mahogany, mirror flat high gloss finish

I have all of these tuned to G-G, so three steps up from guitar tuning, or a full step down from regular ukulele tuning.

The Baby Bard is clearly in a league of its own. This one sounds like a classical guitar, or actually better than every other full sized guitar I have come across. Just as loud, but sweeter and more "lyrical". It has been built to fit my specs exactly, so it is perfect to play for me, with a relatively big body, but a short scale of only 19", a medium nut width of about 47.5mm and a strong radius that helps with barre.

Next to that, I REALLY like the Romero Creations TT6. With its small size, it is extremely comfortable to play while hanging on the couch. I think the special body shapes makes it very comfortable to hold as well, with no upper bout in the way when bowing over the instrument. As I mentioned before in this thread, the neck and fretboard has the perfect specs for me, with a slight radius and a medium nut width of 48mm. Almost as comfortable as the Lichty.

All of the three factory models are well set-up, medium to low action, no sharp frets. Appart from the wider necks and the flat fretboard on the Islander and the Opio, they all play very well. They all came from HMS, so I don't know how much work went into fixing up playability.

The Romero has the nicest finish by far: a perfectly mirror flat gloss finish. I can't really judge its thickness, but from looking at the soundhole, I don't think that it is particularly thick. Definitely very protective and just the way I like it. I have no worries touching this instrument and playing it for hours. The Gotoh tuners definitely add to the value over the plastic tuners that are used on the Kanilea and the KoAloha.

In terms of sound, these three are quite similar. Out of the three, I prefer the tone of the Romero: not as boomy and perhaps not quite as loud as the Opio, but very sweet and "lyrical", with great dynamics. The solid Spruce top has greatly opened up over just a few days, I was quite amazed, as I hadn't experienced this so strongly before.

Can you tell I really like my Romero Guilele? :D

View attachment 113203

Nice! It interesting how pictures can be deceptive. Looking st the TT6, I'd swear it has the widest neck of all of them. I guess the squat body is playing tricks on me.

Can anyone tell me the price? for both the TT, and the baritone one?
Also, does anyone know when more will come in? Jim Hanks- I'm hoping they have a mango one as well!!!
A few days ago Pepe mentioned "mid year", so they must be delayed. But when I said I had heard they would be here mid January, he said "a few".
Getting anxious.....

Can anyone tell me the price? for both the TT, and the baritone one?
Also, does anyone know when more will come in? Jim Hanks- I'm hoping they have a mango one as well!!!
A few days ago Pepe mentioned "mid year", so they must be delayed. But when I said I had heard they would be here mid January, he said "a few".
Getting anxious.....

My Romero Creations baritone guilele with case from HMS was $999.00, this is the spruce/mahogany model. I was playing it yesterday, even against my full size Cordoba classical guitar it sounds good tuned E - E. Not as loud, bright or dynamic but it has a very sweet pleasing tone with good resonance

The first batch of the TT6 guileles were sold for $729 USD (TT6), whereas the baritone guilele model had a retail price of $999 USD, if I remember correctly. Here's the link to the first TT6 which HMS had for sale (and which has become one of my favorite instruments):

https://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-tt6-sm-spruce-mahogany-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Pepe announced on Instagram that he is going to show the guilele models at the NAMM show at the end of January, so I'm confident he has a few in stock. I'd suppose they will be available from HMS or Uke Republic after NAMM. Last time we spoke, Pepe said that they will be Mahogany and Spruce, no other woods for now. My suggestion was Walnut/Cedar (Romero Creations has used this combo for a guitar).

My Romero Creations baritone guilele with case from HMS was $999.00, this is the spruce/mahogany model. I was playing it yesterday, even against my full size Cordoba classical guitar it sounds good tuned E - E. Not as loud, bright or dynamic but it has a very sweet pleasing tone with good resonance

Thanks! Seems high for their spruce/mahogany model, though. Really nice that you can tune it E to E.

The first batch of the TT6 guileles were sold for $729 USD (TT6), whereas the baritone guilele model had a retail price of $999 USD, if I remember correctly. Here's the link to the first TT6 which HMS had for sale (and which has become one of my favorite instruments):

https://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-tt6-sm-spruce-mahogany-tiny-tenor-guilele.html

Pepe announced on Instagram that he is going to show the guilele models at the NAMM show at the end of January, so I'm confident he has a few in stock. I'd suppose they will be available from HMS or Uke Republic after NAMM. Last time we spoke, Pepe said that they will be Mahogany and Spruce, no other woods for now. My suggestion was Walnut/Cedar (Romero Creations has used this combo for a guitar).

Thanks. Sounds nice! Sure would like to see some other wood combos, though. I'm eager to try one.

Top Bottom