Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New and unusual Guilele models from Romero Creations

My Romero Creations Spruce/Mahogany Tiny Tenor Guilele (TT6-SM) has arrived a couple of days ago. I won't have time to write an extensive review for a while but wanted to let you know that my first impression is very, very positive. The mirror-like high gloss finish looks extremely well made. I love the small size and the unusual design, it doesn't look and feel like a miniature guitar, but like an instrument of its own. Despite being considerably smaller than my KoAloha Opio G6 Guitalele or the Islander GL6, the sound and volume are similar to them. I think it sounds a bit cleaner and more refined, but perhaps also a little weaker towards the low end (which I was expecting with such a small body).

What I think has turned out really great is the playability of the neck. With a nut width of 48mm and a slight radius to the fretboard, it
    makes playing much easier for me than a flat and wide fretboard like the Opio or the Islander. Not too much of a radius, but not entirely flat, not as wide as classical guitar, but not as narrow as on some acoustic guitars, I think this will hit the spot for a lot of people.

It comes with a sturdy hardshell case that fits like a glove. Despite the uke having a tenor scale length, the case has about the length of a concert case. My only criticism would be that the case is kind of bulky. Part of the fun of having such a small instrument is its portability, so the case should be reduced to a minimum as well. I think they could take away about 20 mm off the top of the case and make it a bit more triangle shaped, following the outer lines of the instrument more closely, and it would still offer enough protection for the instrument.

I'd guess that Pepe's custom instruments sound fuller still, but the Romero Creations model is built absolutely flawless (perhaps even cleaner looking than Pepe's own). I am very curious now about the Baritone Guilele model, and would love to hear the thoughts of others how got one of these instruments. How do you like it?
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Congrats, Rainer! I know you were super excited about that one so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Somebody please buy this phenomenal sounding Pepe custom guitalele and save me from myself:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-...guilele-1.html
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Congrats, Rainer! I know you were super excited about that one so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Somebody please buy this phenomenal sounding Pepe custom guitalele and save me from myself:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-...guilele-1.html
    I agree with Eddie, a big congratulations Rainer and thank you for a well done and thoughtful review.

Eddie I had immediately sent the listing and video to Brenda when it was first seen. I tried really hard to get her to bite, but no luck
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

dang, I was afraid of that.
    I sent off an email off the RC website to see if I could "request" a mango TT6. We'll see what happens.
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    dang, I was afraid of that.
    I sent off an email off the RC website to see if I could "request" a mango TT6. We'll see what happens.
    Mmmmmmmango, so tasty

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Mmmmmmmango, so tasty
    They’ve done mango as a regular TT so there is hope they could do it as a TT6
    Ukelele:
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Cordoba C1m 1/4, TI CF127, G
    Cordoba Mini M, SC F# EFS
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G

Jim's Blog

I received my Romero Creations baritone guilele about 5 days ago and I like it, a lot!!!. This is very well made, the finish is a just a little bit on the thick side but that is comparing it to hand build custom tenors costing 3X the price. The spruce top is of the highest quality with tight straight grain and lots of cross silking. The mahogany back is also of very high quality with beautiful grain and a 3D shimmer, and very resonant when tapped. Black binding, can't tell if it is ebony or plastic with well done B/W/B purfing on the top. Abalone rosette, ebony fingerboard, string through bridge and headstock overlay. Six Gotoh UPT tuners do a superb job as usual and look great.

When you pick it up and hold it the balance is very good and it really feels like a high quality instrument. As Rainer said in his review of the TT6 the playability is excellent. The 48mm wide nut and radius fretboard are very comfortable to me, the fret work is excellent. The overall size is just about identical to my Mya Moe baritone. This instrument has a 20" scale length (I was hoping for something longer, more on that later). Over all length is 29-1/2", lower bout width 11" body depth at tail end 3-1/8". It comes with a semi ridgid heavily padded gig bag which should make traveling with it a breeze.

Before talking sound quality a few caveats. I have just really ventured into 6 string territory in past six months, got me some guitars including a Cordoba C10 crossover. I thought I had heard this instrument had a scale length longer than 20", more like 22". This coupled with the nut width 1-7/8 and radiused fretboard spurred me to tell Andrew at HMS I wanted one. You see I really wanted this tuned like a guitar E - E and Andrew said he had strings in stock by Pepe for this instrument tuned E - E. When I received it I measured the scale length and it was 20" this leaves the tension on the low side, especially the wound E and A strings, I was dissappointed. But the more I played it the more I liked it. This has a very sweet and lyrical sound, quite musical. I play with a light touch naturally so I am not over driving those two wound strings. I am really enjoying this and very glad I bought it. I'll be doing some string experimenting to try larger diameter higher tension strings, got three different sets on order, including Aquila Red guilele E-E set.

20181019_074013.jpg20181019_074136.jpg20181022_063350.jpg1540380971564114865613.jpg20181019_155702.jpg
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-24-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.

Quote Originally Posted by Alytw View Post
    Nice review Dave. Where did you find the reds for the baritone scale? I could only find them for a 17”.
    Well........I am not sure they are for baritone scale but I will give them a try anyways. If their tension is high enough to tune a 17" scale to E-E they should be even tighter on a 20" scale. Fortunately this is a string through bridge so plenty strong. I will measure the diameters first and bring them up to pitch slowly but they shouldn't pose an issue.

To answer your actual question I bought them at Strings by Mail. Not sure if they are for 17" or 20" really, we will find out. Edit.......they are for 17" scale length.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-25-2018 at 01:32 AM.

They are for 17". There is an E set for the 20" Mini but they aren't reds:
    https://www.stringsbymail.com/cordob...set-15514.html
    Ukelele:
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Rogue bari