Yard sale baritone ukulele

Noelle12

Reaction score
I acquired a baritone ukulele from a yard sale. It cost me $5. It is a Giannini, made in Brazil. It didn't have any strings on it, so I bought some and strung it up, and it has been fun to play.

I have several questions.
1. Is there a way I can tell how old it is? The label is kind of torn up.
2. The only flaw I have found is that one of the tuners is missing a screw. How can I tell what size screw to replace it with? And where can I find that kind of screw?
3. Is this a good ukulele? How can I determine its value? (I have no intention of parting with it. I'm just curious.)

I'm not a tech or a historian so I can't help much with the questions, but I'll tell you it's value. I'll give you double, DOUBLE I SAY, what you paid for it. :D

I should probably add that the tuners are gear tuners. Because I suspect that the ukulele is older, I am thinking the gear tuners are not original. The missing screw is one that is supposed to hold the tuner to the head. One screw is still there, doing the work of two.

Options re the screw - take one out & measure it, or take it to a shop - just find a small one that will fit.

Giannini have been known to make some good quality ukes - likely it is from the 20s/30s, & probably solid mahogany - but that's just guess work.

Baritones didn't come out until early '46'. I think it was Favilla. You found a good one. I recently sold one in good condition for 275.00

The Gianini is an excellent instrument. Like. Favilla, many judge it as a "poor mans's Martin though many preferred it over the others. I like the G best with a set of Martin strings to match the old mahogany sound.

It'd be worth it to take in to a luthier and get it setup. Just leveling the frets will make it much better.

Last edited:
I own a Gianinni baritone and they are wonderful instruments, congratulations. Yours was probably made anywhere after 1960, in Brazil as most were. Take the screw out and go to Home Depot or any hardware store to match it up. REMEMBER to slack off the tension on that string because with both screws missing nothing is holding that tuning machine securely in place.

PS......a Gianinni was just sold here in the Market Place for $300, so you did real good

Last edited:
Very cool find !! And among those who have preferred the Giannini brand of stringed instruments is Jose Feliciano... not a bad endorsement!

Just in case you didn't know, can get strings to tune it GCEA if you want. (heresy for Bari fans, lol)

Top Bottom