Recommendation of best beginner's ukulele course on the internet

Right here on Ukulele Underground. In the header under the word Ukulele Underground on the right hand side click on "Learn to Play the Ukulele". It is really well thought out and a very logical A-B-C progressive step system.

Most of us that came to the ukulele with ZERO musical background need it as si ple and elementary as possible. You learn to hold the uke properly, how to strum, how to form the simple most common chords. This course gives you that and you don't have to learn how to read music.

Right here on Ukulele Underground. In the header under the word Ukulele Underground on the right hand side click on "Learn to Play the Ukulele". It is really well thought out and a very logical A-B-C progressive step system.

Most of us that came to the ukulele with ZERO musical background need it as si ple and elementary as possible. You learn to hold the uke properly, how to strum, how to form the simple most common chords. This course gives you that and you don't have to learn how to read music.

Just head to ukuleleunderground.com
The content starts from scratch and goes up quite a bit with options to get personalized help.

I also have also subscribed to the uke way but the content is harder to browse on the phone, so have not completed it.

yep UU and also Matt Dahlberg, who also happens to work with the guys at UU helped me a hell of a lot when I first started playing

Which is the best beginner's course on the internet for someone who is entirely ignorant of both the ukulele and music?

I have tried several online courses and I really like two.

Terry Carter's http://ukelikethepros.com courses are outstanding. His teaching is very clear and the videos are professional (e.g., well organized, high quality, music shown on screen, etc). I think the best deal is his Standard Monthly Membership (https://www.ukelikethepros.com/store/LYdFLRnk) which, paid a year in advance, costs $99. That gives you a bunch of courses (I completed his very-easy Beginning Bootcamp and am most of the way through his Mastering The Ukulele 1 course; I haven't started his Masterclass Course or gone through his Tips of the Week). The membership also includes a weekly Q&A (I don't participate live, but I stream them the next day). You even get a tee shirt with your membership (they run large...). Some may feel that $99 is expensive, but for me there's at least a year's worth of material and I consider it a bargain.

I also really like Brett McQueen's http://ukuleletricks.com Strumming Tricks course. It has 35 lessons and 89 videos. Brett teaches at a slightly slower, gentler pace using older music which I suspect some people will like and may put off others.

Both of these guys have free videos on YouTube.com that you can watch to see if you like their teaching styles (see UkeLikeThePros on YouTube and UkuleleTricks on YouTube). Both are not only excellent ukulele players with strong understandings of music theory, but they're crazy-strong adult educators.

FYI, I don't have any connection with either of these guys or their businesses. I do feel like they're my "friends," because I've "spent" many many hours with them (not they with me!) and they have improved my ukulele playing tremendously. For me, following structured classes like these is much more effective than jumping between various YouTube.com videos (my previous learning approach).

I agree with the others, you're basically in the right place here already!

Don't rule out courses you can attend in person too, there are a few in the U.K. depending on where you live.

I second the James Hill's Ukulele Way recommendation, especially since you say you know nothing of music. James teaches how to play, underscored with music theory where appropriate.

I third James Hill's course. For $1 he'll give someone the basics and get them started. I realize he'll try to sell them other courses past that, but those courses are good too. This is what I gave my 40+ y/o daughter when she thought she might be interested in learning the uke.

Top Bottom