New Build Thread - Hive Ancient Spruce/Ebony

Patchenu

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have never posed a build a thread before but I have been on the forums for a few years and I found them to be very valuable while I was researching builders. My journey with Hive ukulele (owner and built by Jake Maclay) started when I saw some of his instruments on UU. I had read a lot of posts saying what a great builder Jake was and even in theukulelereview podcast interview with Noa Bonk of Ko'olou he mentions Jake as someone he admired for the clean build. I still hadn't considered purchasing until I got to play one. The Hive I got to play is a very special instrument owned by Ukulele Eddie. It's his "The Tree" Mahogany back and sides with Lucky12 spruce top. A wonderful instrument that I instantly feel in love with. I was on the fence until that first strum and I put a deposit down to get on Jake's list later that day. The problem is that I wasn't sure what wood combo I wanted. Jake had been very patient with me sending me a lot of wood pictures and ideas. I loved a lot of his wood but I couldn't make a decision. Finally I decided on Luthiers Choice. This was based on the fact that I heard that when the luthier has the freedom to make their best instrument, they do. I just told Jake that it needed to be the best representation of his style and sound. He took up the challenge and so I wanted to share with the forum progress to date. (Please note, if you follow Jake Maclay on facebook or instragram, he posts pictures of all his builds in progress). Also, I have to add this, Not only is Jake a master luthier, Jake is such a great guy. We was one of the six luthiers that participated in Luthiers for a Cause where he donated a build for charity. I got to work with him for over a year on that project and I can't believe what a genuine and great guy he is. So back to the build thread. Jake selected this wood combo:

wood set.jpg

Ebony back and sides paired with Ancient Spruce Top.
Since this build has been going for a few months already, I will be able to post a lot of pictures now. This build has a few things Jake has never done and I will point them out as we go. A great example is that he is using an x-brace for the first time.

back in the jig.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the top and the rosette. A unique combination of Ebony and Silver.

finished top.jpg

Here is the top being glued on.

gluing the top.jpg

So what neck wood would you use for this build? Jake asked me my thoughts and I repeated, your choice. He then asked me about weight and I knew where he was going...

ebony neck.jpg

yes, that is an Ebony neck. While it will add weight, it should not be that significant on an ukulele. I am not sure he will build another with an Ebony neck as it has a reputation of chipping easily and being brittle. Jake is a master.

Last edited:
one more with the back and sides of the closed box.
box back and side.jpg

Here is the ukulele with the neck on. You can also now see the silver binding much clearer.
front with neck.jpg
back with neck.jpg

Now with fret markers:
fret markers.jpg
fret markers 2.jpg

we now have frets and off to finish...this is shaping up to be an instruments that is beyond my wildest dreams.

now with frets.jpg

I will update everyone once it's back from finish. I will say that because of my involvement with Luthiers for a Cause, and the generous donation from Rob Rodger for that project, we will be purchasing Rodger's tuners for this build.

Last edited:
This is one of the most unique ukuleles I have ever seen. But it is also one of the prettiest, smart move to let Jake do a luthiers choice, turned out to be gorgeous

Ah, so you are the lucky one that commissioned Jake for that uke. I have been following the progress on his FB page. I can't wait to see it with the finish on. And most of all, hear it after it is completed. Congratulations in advance!

Congratulations on one of the best designs I’ve ever seen. We are so fortunate to live in a time when there are so many great Luthiers practising their craftsmanship.

I really love the wood choices in this ukulele. The look is simple but very striking. I think it is beautiful. Congratulations.

Very cool uke with a definite dark side. The back cross bracing is the first I’ve seen from Jake, and really adds to look. Thanks for posting.

This instrument is absolutely killer. No doubt the tone will match its appearance!

DownUpDave: Thank you, I can take zero credit for this build but it’s shaping up to be something special

dkcrown: Yes, I outed myself. Following Jake on facebook allows you to watch all of his builds in progress. I will record something along with a NUD write-up when I receive it. I am expecting it around November.

Hollisdwyer: Thank you, I am really lucky. I agree, there are so many master luthiers work right now, some might say we are in a golden age of luthiers.

Osprey: I also really like the wood combo. I was nervous when Jake wanted to go with Ancient Spruce because the top is a grey/silver and I have only seen Barron River building consistently with this wood and never pairs it with a dark/near black wood. I did play an Oceana ukulele with this wood a few years ago and I like the sound.

Doc_J : Thank you. The cross backing is a nod to Michael Bashkin of Bashkin Guitars. The X-brace is new and something he tried for this build. I get the impression that getting that right, took a long time and he doesn’t think he will be doing it again on another build.

Saltytri: It’s shaping up to be something special. It’s a Hive so I think the sound will be great.

Patchenu, yes I’ve only ever seen ancient Spruce used by Allen McFarlan (Barron River Ukuleles) before.
Most of what I’ve seen from him has been darker. I love the silver grey that yours is.

I’m tending to think of your build as the ‘Stealth Ukulele’. The ebony neck flowing up to include the headstock is just wonderful! Also fascinated by the X brace. Do you know if they are ebony or just coloured black?

Last edited:
Patchen, I've never been more happy that you live within an hour's drive. ;-) What a stunner this is turning out to be!

Yeah, saw this on instagram. Absolutely amazing.

Patchenu, yes I’ve only ever seen ancient Spruce used by Allen McFarlan (Barron River Ukuleles) before.
Most of what I’ve seen from him has been darker. I love the silver grey that yours is.

I’m tending to think of your build as the ‘Stealth Ukulele’. The ebony neck flowing up to include the headstock is just wonderful! Also fascinated by the X brace. Do you know if they are ebony or just coloured black?

The X brace is adi spruce with a black vaneer cap. There is ebony on the center line brace through the center.

Patchen, I've never been more happy that you live within an hour's drive. ;-) What a stunner this is turning out to be!

Thank you, I am excited to see how it turns out. When I get it, you should come over with your Hive and we can do a sample of each.

Absolutely terrific looking ukulele. You're going to have to dress like Roy Orbison when you play it. Even at home! ;-)

repeating what everyone is saying, this is the most striking uke I've seen. Can't wait to see and hear it? I've got a redwood Hive on order, but I've a looooong wait.

Top Bottom