New Build Thread - Devine Baritone Lucky Strike Redwood/Koa

Patchenu

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have a couple of Eric Devine Tenor ukuleles. I love them for both of their looks and their sound. After he finished the last tenor, I asked him if he had any special wood and it turns out he did. He had just received some special Koa and that it was so new, it needed a year to dry. I saw this picture and I was in.

1. sneak peak but drying.jpg

I knew I didn't want another tenor and that I didn't want an all Koa ukulele but I had some time to think about. I decided that I would get a baritone ukulele on the recommendation of Jen. I was lucky enough to purchase a set of Lucky Strike Redwood that I sent to Eric to see if that set would match and it would be suitable for the build. He thought it would be a good combo and so that was decided.

2. wood como.jpg

another look at the back
3. sneak peak of the wood.jpg

and the board for the sides
4. sides.jpg

Last edited:
Since this build has been in progress for over a year, I can share with you some more the details. When I was in Hawaii in November of last year at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show, Eric was there showing a few of his instruments. I got to see both his bamboo ukulele (The bamboo is green) and "The Tree" that uses gold as the material for the binding and inlay. I was blown away by both so I decided to have Eric build using gold as the binding material. I also decided on the inlay and I went with a slotted headstock (he hasn't made many of those yet as he has been in the shop perfecting it).

Here is the back in jig
5. back in the jig.jpg

and one help get an idea of the final look of the back after finish
6. back in the jig_wet.jpg

Here is the rosette
7. top with rosette.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to be something special for sure. What is "lucky strike" redwood?

Here is the fretboard with the bamboo inlay in gold. The trim wood is Brazillian Rosewood (fretboard, headstock veneer, bridge)

8. fretboard.jpg

And here is the ukulele ready to go to finish. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
9. box with neck ready for finish.jpg
10. slotted headstock.jpg
11. ready for finish.jpg

WOWEE, you lucky buggah!!! That is going to be such an AWESOME DeVine baritone uke with that CRAZY Curly/Flamed Koa and Lucky Strike Redwood!!! ... And, I loVE, lOVE, LOVE slotted headstocks!!!
:drool:

CONGRATS & a BIG MAHALO for sharing!!!:worship:

Last edited:
That's beautiful wood. Drying is important. I saw individual pieces for sale on Stewart MacDonald, and the kiln dried wood was considerably more expensive. Imagine building a beautiful uke and then having the top dry out and begin to separate.

That is outstanding looking in everyway. I really like the bamboo inlay, very artistic and elegant. A friend owns a Devine baritone, spruce and quilted maple that I have had the pleasure of playing, the sound was..............devine!!!!

There are some amazing build threads right now. What wonderful craftsmanship we have access to. Congratulations on your most beautiful build.

stevejfc: agreed, Krazy Koa. Ukulele Eddie calls it sonogram Koa

slackkey007 : Thank you, I am really lucky.

Jerryc41 : Yes, drying is very important, but the anticipation was killing both Eric and me.

DownUpDave: Thank you, I haven’t heard a DeVine baritone in person, only on recordings but when coolcow gives you a recommendation, you take it seriously. I glad you are telling me the same thing

Hollisdwyer: Completely agree, there are a lot of great luthiers working right now. We could be in a golden age of luthiers.

I just got some new pictures and word that this build is completed. Eric will be showing this uke at the UGH event at the Bishop Museum tomorrow. If you are in Hawaii, go check it out.
E7838EB7-BE7E-425B-ABAC-9F7664603E40.jpg3FC76D4C-6995-484D-81A3-CE9CC4FDE9A6.jpg5FC841A4-090E-40BB-90E5-929024B63D4A.jpg

Last edited:
Wowza, Patchen. That is gorgeous!

The book matched koa on the back is absolutely stunning! The elements of your ukulele design have come together beautifully.

Congratulations.

Amazing. I can't even imagine how exciting it must be watching YOUR uke being put together. Congrats!

Wow! I somehow missed this build thread when you started it Patchenu, but your new uke looks fabulous. I am a fan of Redwood tops. Congratulations, I am sure that it will sound as good as it looks.

Top Bottom