Frankenstein String Sets - What Do You Use For Trebles?

Thanks for the great specifics. As I tend to like higher tension (I find that I 'bend' low tension's) which one would you prefer?

If I were to string up a Spruce top right now (I'll actually do 2 Sitka Spruce/Quilted Maple in a month), it'll be 540CJ (Cristal Trebles, High Tension). If you like higher tension, I'd suggest trying both the 540J and 540CJ.

I still run the 544J for the 4th, but plan on getting some TI soon.

Kinda surprised to see others using Savarez Alliance. Been my secret sauce for years. I think its a builder thing, meaning, builders like Dave, that use Savarez. Players seem to buy sets of ukulele strings, rather than guitar strings; with exceptions of course.

Last edited:
If I were to string up a Spruce top right now (I'll actually do 2 Sitka Spruce/Quilted Maple in a month), it'll be 540CJ (Cristal Trebles, High Tension). If you like higher tension, I'd suggest trying both the 540J and 540CJ.

I still run the 544J for the 4th, but plan on getting some TI soon.

Kinda surprised to see others using Savarez Alliance. Been my secret sauce for years. I think its a builder thing, meaning, builders like Dave, that use Savarez. Players seem to buy sets of ukulele strings, rather than guitar strings; with exceptions of course.

If you ever feel like experimenting I find the Pyramid CVF carbon strings excellent and very comparable to Savarez. You can find them at String by Mail, classical guitar section, specialty singles. They are called lute strings and have a huge selection of diameters

If you ever feel like experimenting I find the Pyramid CVF carbon strings excellent and very comparable to Savarez. You can find them at String by Mail, classical guitar section, specialty singles. They are called lute strings and have a huge selection of diameters

Thanks for that Dave. If it were for myself, definitely something to look into.

One of the issues with a mixed string set is the customer may not remember, or be able to find the set. I used to mix D'Addario 4904 with the T2 trebles, but since I can't readily get them individually, I switched to Aranjuez 600 series to replace the 4904. This is one of the variables in always gravitating back to Savarez, I like all 4 strings, and it's easy enough for a customer to get replacements. If the TI don't improve the 4th string, I'll keep it as is, all Savarez with Cristal trebles, mainly because its worked, for years.

Hollis, please post a review on the sets you try.

Thanks for that Dave. If it were for myself, definitely something to look into.

One of the issues with a mixed string set is the customer may not remember, or be able to find the set. I used to mix D'Addario 4904 with the T2 trebles, but since I can't readily get them individually, I switched to Aranjuez 600 series to replace the 4904. This is one of the variables in always gravitating back to Savarez, I like all 4 strings, and it's easy enough for a customer to get replacements. If the TI don't improve the 4th string, I'll keep it as is, all Savarez with Cristal trebles, mainly because its worked, for years.

Hollis, please post a review on the sets you try.

I’ll do that. I have sent Allen McFarlen the Savarez 541R & 542R as well as the TI CF27&CF30 to string up my new Sugar Box Maple/Alaskan Yellow Cedar Tenor that he is making for me. I’ll put that same set on all my 4 string Tenors to see what they sound like on the different builds.

Top Bottom