Bluesette Ukulele and Bass Cover

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
I haven't posted a video here for a while, because I've been studying and trying to learn something about jazz, including how to improvise over a jazz chord progression.

Here's my first attempt. Toots Thielemans' classic tune, "Bluesette." Played at a local Open Mic. My improvised parts were largely worked out beforehand, so I can't call this improvisation. But gotta start somewhere!

Very pretty! Nice job! Unfortunately my cheapo laptop speakers don't deliver the bass very well, but still, enjoyed it (as did the audience)!

Very pretty! Nice job! Unfortunately my cheapo laptop speakers don't deliver the bass very well, but still, enjoyed it (as did the audience)!

Thank you!

Nicely done. I think jazz is one of the toughest styles to play. I enjoyed it.

Thanks. And I agree jazz is tough. My newbie impression is jazz offers tons of freedom to improvise or compose "on the spot." But that freedom also creates opportunities to make awful-sounding mistakes. Avoiding those requires lots of study and practice. Luckily I get to use an ukulele to do that!

I turn 62 years of age on 4th October and, although having been into all genres of music my whole life, I've never really been into jazz or known much about it. I recently went to stay overnight with an old work-mate who took me to his local jazz club and we stayed till late drinking decent whisky and listening to the bands performing. I had a really good evening and drove home listening to The Dudley Moore Trio CD he'd given me for the journey.

And I just had another really good 4 minutes listening to this too. I thoroughly enjoyed and have decided I must look into this jazz business a bit deeper. lol

Well done good_uke_boy.

Top Bottom