Installing strap buttons on Kala Archtop Tenor

larabie23

Reaction score
I'm super stoked about my new Kala Archtop Tenor except for one minor detail, which isn't so minor when it comes to play-ability:

lack of strap buttons

While I know typically, the plug-in jack can also be used as a strap button, I'm not sure the jack extends enough for me to attach a strap. And then there's the missing strap button on the heel of the neck...

Although I'm not keen on having a strap attached to the head-stock as I don't find it comfortable (feels constricting to me), I may give it a go if it means not drilling into the ukulele - IF I can attach the strap to the jack.

For those that have the Kala Archtop Tenor and have a strap - how did you do it?

I have installed many strap buttons to my ukes however for this one, I'm really not keen on drilling into it myself, so I may bring it in to my local luthier and have the strap buttons installed if I can't work a strap with the current set-up.

Thanks all! Happy strumming!

What does the plug-in jack look like?

I'm having good luck on my new guilele with a UkeLeash: https://store.ukeleash.com/products/bzer8xewwh
I got the one button version with the large keyhole on the bottom but you can get a two button version if you don't want to tie to the headstock.
These aren't great pictures but maybe will help.
z6tDMKqm.jpg
2z4DLjCm.jpg

This is a MiSi pickup. The strap fits perfectly into the groove around it and I haven't had any problem with it not staying put.

I never liked the combo output jack/strap button, seems the strap would slip off. I add strap buttons to all my ukes, in the neck heel without a problem. Obviously be careful, but it's not difficult.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Here is what the pick up looks like:

IMG_2177.jpgIMG_2178.jpg

...I also had a question about humidifiers - I've heard some mixed reviews about the 'Dampit' humidifier... if I were to place a regular ukulele humidifier in the hard case, would that work just as well, or does it have to hang inside the instrument for it to be more effective?

Thank you! I've installed several buttons on my other ukes but I'm more hesitant with this one! I will bring it in to my local music shop.

Any advice on humidifiers that would fit in the f hole? I heard mixed reviews on the 'Damp-it' humidifier. I have humidifiers for my other solid-tops, and wonder if I just kept one in the hard case if that would be sufficient...? It gets very dry where I live in the wintertime so I really need to be sure it's well humidified.

I used to use a simple humidifier that sat in the case with the uke, worked well. Now I have a shelf I converted to a humidified display case, my avatar.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

There is a gimo which attaches to your strap and goes over the larger jack button, and is retained by a plastic clip.
The normal slot for a strap button will not fit the larger button size of the jack button.
Item is Tapastring,
http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
No connection with the company, just a satisfied customer.
H

Last edited:
It looks a bit ghetto, but I used a washer and one of those headphone adapters: I would place the strap over the jack and then insert the adapter and washer to secure the strap. Of course, it would be easier just to take the 10 seconds to screw in a strap button.

fantastic, thank you! What about the other end of the strap? I really dislike having the strap tied near the headstock...

I have no problems attaching a strap to the plug button on the the uke and I tie to the headstock. Prefer that as it is less constricting. But if I wanted to add a strap button, I would grab a drill and do it, having done it many times before. Humidifier? I thought laminate ukes such as the Kala Archtop did not require humidifiers.

Top Bottom