NBUD: Gold Tone ME-Bass

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
"New to me" anyway. I started a thread a few weeks ago about getting a bass uke for recording some more "organic" bass parts for my projects. After a good bit of research and a trip to the big box stores (Guitar Center/Sam Ash), I concluded that I wanted a solid body, did not want Thundergut strings, and did not mind up to about 23" scale. After a little more googling, this one popped up on talkbass.com and after a brief exchange with the seller, I jumped on it. It did have Thunderguts (probably the originals from the factory), but I had planned to replace with the flatwound set made by Labella exclusively for Gold Tone. The strings themselves were $47 shipped :eek: but I felt I was still in for what seemed a very fair price for a 3-year old instrument with minor cosmetic damage.

The bass arrived before the new strings so I had time to hook it up to my Reason rig for a recording test. If worked fine, but I didn't bother trying to dial in any tones since I still did not care for the Thunderguts. After the strings arrived is when the real "fun" began.

The was one of the few times in recent memory that YouTube failed to provide instructional material. I found install guides for the Thunderguts and the round wound Silverbacks, but I was concerned the flat wounds could have some notable differences and they did. I'll be writing up my own findings soon on my blog and perhaps YouTube, but just to summarize here, I was able to get it sorted with a combination of pointers from our own kohanmike, Gold Tone customer support, common sense, and trial-n-error. It still isn't "perfect" but with minimal difficulty I have the action down to 2.7-3mm and intonation within 10c at the 12th fret. This should be good enough for my purposes, and I think going for any better would involve nut and saddle work with a pretty high screw up factor. :p

Now I'm not a bass player and I don't like wound strings in general, but I'm getting used to flatwounds on my guileles, and the feel of these La Bella strings is so much better than either Thunderguts or Pahoehoes. I hope to dial in some tones soon and post some sound samples.

But for now, these pics will have to do.

67r0HP2l.jpg

MYCYExpl.jpg

Very nice Jim, and I'm glad to help. As matter of fact, there could be an 23" ME in my future after seeing this.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Congrat's! those are nice solid bodies...hope it has the sound you're looking for!

Congratulations. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Last week here in Vancouver, BC I found out that one store here had one in stock. I went to the shop and found that there is a newer version that has 3 control knobs like the Kala U-Bass.

I found that the balance with a strap was more comfortable than the MicroBass that I own. Much less tendency to head dive. It played fine and I like the thinner body. I am thinking about it and wondering what Pahoehoe strings would be like on it. Probably not much different than on the acoustic one.
John

I went to the shop and found that there is a newer version that has 3 control knobs like the Kala U-Bass.... I am thinking about it and wondering what Pahoehoe strings would be like on it.
Yea, I see the new ones have 3 knobs: https://www.elderly.com/gold-tone-me-bass-solid-body-micro-bass-gigbag-23-scale.htm

Didn't notice that before. The seller did say he had to mess with EQ more at the amp more than some other models. Separate on-board bass and treble tone knobs would probably help with that. Oh well. An extra knob isn't worth $200 to me. :p

The Pahoehoes should work fine with some bridge adjustments- but realize you'll void your warranty. :nana:

Why would Pahoehoes void the warranty? Looks like they come with Thunderguts...

From the owner's manual:
Strings
MicroBass strings are made of a rubber polymer and are available direct from Gold Tone or through an authorized Gold Tone dealer. Use
ONLY MicroBass branded strings as they are designed specifically for this 23” scale length model. Similar off-brand rubber strings will not
work and may cause damage to the instrument. Using non-MicroBass branded strings will void the 5-year warranty

I believe Kohanmike and others on this thread and maybe on TalkBass have changed to the Pahoehoe strings on the MB and thought it performed much better.

I believe Kohanmike and others on this thread and maybe on TalkBass have changed to the Pahoehoe strings on the MB and thought it performed much better.

I prefer either the Pahoehoe for their smoothness, or the LaBella/Gold Tone flatwounds, but I did leave the Thunderguts on my recently purchased Rondo acoustic walnut bass since I only use that bass occasionally for hospital gigs, and to my surprise I actually put a set of Thunderguts on my new Kala red Journeyman U-bass that came with the Kala nylon core round wound (that I don't like at all) only because the Thunderguts are the same color as the binding on the Journeyman. I was going to use a set of red Pahoehoe, but the Thunderguts really look good (there goes my Pahoehoe smooth preference).

Quick noodle:

Using a pick really makes those strings sound like a standard electric bass. For the almost 50 years I played guitar, I always used a pick, but playing uke and bass uke now, I only use fingers.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

Using a pick really makes those strings sound like a standard electric bass.
I agree, and that's all that's in this video. I didn't do it consciously, but I guess I was trying to see what kind of range of sounds I could get with just the tone knob. It is definitely capable of different tones with pick vs fingers vs just thumb. I plan to make another video exploring that.

From the owner's manual:
Strings
MicroBass strings are made of a rubber polymer and are available direct from Gold Tone or through an authorized Gold Tone dealer. Use
ONLY MicroBass branded strings as they are designed specifically for this 23” scale length model. Similar off-brand rubber strings will not
work and may cause damage to the instrument. Using non-MicroBass branded strings will void the 5-year warranty

Well then, those flatwounds definitely voided your warranty...if you have one.

Thanks for sharing your experience here with your new bass.

It looks great and sounds like a full-sized bass in your video.

Best of luck with it!

P.S. - another fun and easy bass line is from "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen :)

Good presenttion Jim (though the rotating action got my a little dizzy). The washers to set the strings out of the hole is a good idea, as is the bridge adjustment tip.

Top Bottom